- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Farm Manager Costa Rica
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
- International Citrus Account Manager
- Business Developer Water Storage - International technical horticulture
US: Ornamental growers, urban farmers discovering possibilities of coir substrates at OFA
Riococo previously exhibited at OFA from 2007 till 2010. "We skipped the event over the last two years because we had our hands full with serving larger scale greenhouse growers," said Shan. "However, this also had a big impact on our coir based growing medium products, we did a lot of improvements during last 3 years and noted that there was more interest from smaller to medium scale growers, who also wanted to take advantages of coir based , organic soilless growing media. Hence, we came back to the show."
Exhibiting at OFA Short Course 2013 wasn't a bad choice said Shan. "The economy is turning around and people are looking forward to break open new markets. Urban farming is definitely one of them and we can offer these entrepreneurs an organic and coir based growing medium that is easy to use, constant and sustainable."
"On the other hand we noted a trend amongst ornamental growers," said Halamba. "They are looking for more information on how to use the coir fiber growing medium as a part of their potting mix. Earlier it was all about peat moss or rockwool, but now they are thinking about incorporating coco into their potting mixes and bedding and potted plant operations. They are looking for new ideas and methods. This is something completely different from what we experienced during previous OFA shows. Growers who asked us about coir slab usage, propagating in coir medium, coir mixes and growing techniques were well educated and made our booth a real informational gathering place."
"As well as this, we saw a big potential for our improved product, the coconut propagation starter blocks. I am very pleased that OFA has also become the right place for growers to get to know new products, as well as to learn. Together with the continuously increasing popularity of urban and vertical farming, I think OFA will continue to be the right place to inform small and middle scale growers in North America about the advantages of using Riococo coir as a growing substrate!"
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-09-18 2023 Canadian harvest of horticultural peat moss as of August 31
- 2023-09-14 "Semi-substrate growing ensures rapid and uniform establishment immediately after planting"
- 2023-08-11 “Quality is the start and end point because it allows us to establish a price”
- 2023-08-10 New coco substrate uses the entire husk
- 2023-08-09 “Ideal solution for growers to transition from the soil to pots or substrate slabs”
- 2023-07-13 Growcoon awarded with the OK Compost Home certificate
- 2023-07-12 “Helping growers overcome growing media challenges”
- 2023-07-10 New growing medium solutions presented at Cultivate'23
- 2023-06-29 UK: New investment in peat in fight against climate change
- 2023-06-19 "Our sector is making a big contribution to making society more sustainable"
- 2023-06-08 Stephan Schmidt Group takes over customer base of clay segment from Griendstveen
- 2023-06-07 Hydrogel-based substrate shows promising results
- 2023-06-07 "Gardening world realizes the importance of treading lightly on Mother Earth's soil"
- 2023-05-24 Philippines: Development of coco coir to stop coconut farming waste
- 2023-05-17 Sustainable growing media for CEA
- 2023-05-12 Buffered coco coir achieves OMRI listing
- 2023-05-02 “Substrate enriched with organic compost offers powerful nutritional benefits to growers”
- 2023-05-01 "Our buffered cocopeat is widely used in the market"
- 2023-04-21 Constant supply of wood fibers, another step on the road to peat-free substrates
- 2023-04-03 “The horticultural sector is heading towards peat-free potting soil”