- Commercial Support Coordinator (32-40 hours)
- Sr Construction Project Manager
- China country manager
- Commercial Key Account Manager
- Agriculture Sales engineer France & European zone
- Cultivation specialist / Growers for Amerika
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager
- Area Manager South Germany
- Senior Buyer | Fresh Produce | Ireland
- Sales Manager Citrus
Top 5 -yesterday
- New 15-acre greenhouse in Kentucky the first of three to be opened by Q4 2022
- “The climate in Sicily truly makes our tomatoes unique”
- China's first artificial intelligence 5G agricultural robot comes out
- Australian-based Provenance Propagation visits Boal Systems
- Automation and control are the main focus of the International Propagation Seminar
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- One of Sweden's largest tomato growers to stop cultivation during winter
- Wasabi grower discovering new greenhouse crops
- UK strawberry grower uses UV-light robot to keep powdery mildew at bay
- Gotham Greens raises $310M to accelerate national greenhouse expansion
- Drones fly through tomato rows in International Greenhouse Challenge
Zambia: Sky high tomato price
A survey conducted by the Daily Mail in Lusaka at both Soweto and City markets on Thursday revealed that a box of tomatoes is being sold between 28 and 32 euros per box.
Amos Mpofu, a farmer of Chongwe, attributed the increase in the price of tomatoes to high demand from the public and also due to loss incurred in the past due to flooding of the commodity on the market.
“The increase in prices of tomatoes is due to high demand by the public…you see, in the past months a lot of farmers decided to plant tomatoes, but because of the flooding of the commodity on the market we had to sell the commodity at a cheap price to avoid wasting the commodity.
“So a lot of farmers had a loss and most of them decided to diversify to other crops like cotton and vegetables,” he said.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-09-28 Specialty crop growers increased value of crops insured by FCIP products
- 2022-09-28 Michigan Senator Stabenow announces over $2 million for fruit and vegetable growers
- 2022-09-28 MENA’s top 4 most funded agri-tech startups
- 2022-09-28 Imports of Peruvian blueberries through Philadelphia and NYC expected to increase
- 2022-09-28 Pound hits record low as markets react to the UK tax cuts plans
- 2022-09-28 France: The ready-to-eat fresh fruit and vegetables sector threatened with extinction
- 2022-09-28 World Container Index sinks to January 2021 levels
- 2022-09-28 How can Dutch technology help the development of horticulture in China?
- 2022-09-27 Diving deep into horticulture: optimizing CEA
- 2022-09-27 Delayed Almeria vegetable harvest and the low supply in the Netherlands keep prices high
- 2022-09-27 "Labor and energy, the biggest challenges for British greenhouse horticulture"
- 2022-09-27 €140 million until 2025 to reduce the use of plastic and improve plastic waste management
- 2022-09-27 EU organic import volume went up 2.8% in 2021
- 2022-09-27 US retailers waste no time in steering shoppers towards fall favorites
- 2022-09-27 Lettuce shortage returns after some bad weather
- 2022-09-26 China will assist Pakistan in setting up contract-farms growing high-yield chilis
- 2022-09-26 "Higher costs will mean few, if any, local strawberries in the winter"
- 2022-09-26 Serbia: Soft fruits in the focus
- 2022-09-23 Flier Systems and Propagation Solutions organized Propagate 2022
- 2022-09-23 Summer heat lowers European tomato production by 14%