- Sales Manager / Director - West Coast primary, USA
- Medewerker productmanagement support - Bleiswijk
- Head grower & Indoor farming-/hydroponic specialist - Küssnacht am Rigi, Switzerland
- Technical Director - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Onderzoekassistent Fenotyperen - Bleiswijk
- Horticultural Soil Sales Representative - USA
- Turnkey Vegetable Greenhouse Sales Representative - USA
- Sales Administrator - Europe Division
- Junior Sales Manager - Europe Division
- Head Grower - Avoine, France
Top 5 -yesterday
- "We will supply 2 million kg of fresh produce to the UAE market in 2021"
- Investors perception: “Cute millennials with a container farm”
- It all started with two teenagers and one invention
- Modern 'dude ranch' uses solar greenhouse to help wounded vets and their families
- Is it possible to cut lettuce in just one second?
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- “If we really want to make a change, we should intensively invest in innovation and technique in Africa”
- "Algorithm predicted irrigation need much better than I can with 38 years experience"
- "The sheer size of this pepper greenhouse makes it a remarkable project"
- Increasing yield, while improving plant quality and driving down energy costs
- Get your copy of the Greenhouse Guide
US (FL): Effects of anaerobic soil disinfestation in tomato
In Immokalee, Pic-Clor 60 (1,3-dichloropropene + chloropicrin) was used as the CSF, whereas in Citra, the CSF was Paldin [dimethyl disulfide (DMDS) + chloropicrin]. Anaerobic soil disinfestation treatments were applied using a mix of composted poultry litter (CPL) at the rate of 22 Mg·ha−1, and two rates of molasses [13.9 (ASD1) and 27.7 m3·ha−1 (ASD2)] as a carbon (C) source.
In both locations, soil subjected to ASD reached highly anaerobic conditions, and cumulative soil anaerobiosis was 167% and 116% higher in ASD2 plots than in ASD1 plots, in Immokalee and Citra, respectively. In Immokalee, the CSF provided the most significant weed control, but ASD treatments also suppressed weeds enough to prevent an impact on yield. In Citra, all treatments, including the CSF, provided poor weed control relative to the Immokalee site. In both locations, the application of ASD provided a level of root-knot nematode (Meloidogyne sp.) control equivalent to, or more effective than the CSF.
In Immokalee, ASD2 and ASD1 plots provided 26.7% and 19.7% higher total marketable yield as compared with CSF plots, respectively. However, in Citra, total marketable yield was unaffected by soil treatments. Tomato fruit quality parameters were not influenced by soil treatments, except for fruit firmness in Immokalee, which was significantly higher in fruits from ASD treatments than in those from CSF soil. Fruit mineral content was similar or higher in ASD plots as compared with CSF. In fresh-market tomato, ASD applied using a mixture of CPL and molasses may be a sustainable alternative to CSF for maintaining or even improving marketable yield and fruit quality.
Access the study at HortScience.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-09-22 Australian grapes might be on the shelves year-round thanks to specific gene
- 2020-09-22 Pakistani agriculture experts advise farmers to start summer vegetable cultivation in tunnels
- 2020-09-18 PL Light Systems releases leafy greens crop guide
- 2020-09-16 Key differences of growing vegetables vs. cannabis indoors
- 2020-09-16 With the right tools, it is possible to grow produce all over the world
- 2020-09-15 Grower support across New South Wales
- 2020-09-15 British farmers grow pumpkin that weighs 1.1 ton
- 2020-09-14 Bumblebees contributing to high quality blackberries
- 2020-09-14 Simplified soilless cultivation in lettuce
- 2020-09-11 Helping crops fight off smoke, rain and too much sun
- 2020-09-10 Tinted solar panels allow plants to grow efficiently on ‘agrivoltaic’ farms
- 2020-09-10 CAN (ON): Nutrient solution analysis projects for greenhouses and vertical farms
- 2020-09-10 Supplemental LED increases tomato yield in Mediterranean semi-closed greenhouse
- 2020-09-10 Chambers launches major independent raspberry varietal trial
- 2020-09-09 88 year old man harvests 2.3 kg heavy tomato
- 2020-09-08 South Africa: Sought-after East London tomatoes reap revenue from afar
- 2020-09-08 Effect of organic vs conventional cropping systems in courgette
- 2020-09-08 Farm in Zambales has competitive edge in market through hydroponics
- 2020-09-08 Natural Light Growing Centre reaps first harvest
- 2020-09-08 250,000 essential bees almost did not reach Canada this year