Job offersmore »
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop België / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
According to US importer
Rush on Mexican cucumbers lowers prices
Growers of cucumbers have enjoyed good conditions so far this season. The weather has not presented too many problems lately, despite occasional cool conditions. The cooler conditions have not, however, affected yields and suppliers are seeing good numbers and high quality product.
"We are currently importing Mini Persian cucumbers from the Dominican Republic as well as Mexico," said a cucumber importer from New Jersey. "It's been a little colder these last few weeks, but otherwise we have not had any problems with supply. We are seeing about the same quantity as last year. It's a year round program as we grow the cucumbers in greenhouses to ensure we grow enough product for our customers."
Hope for market to recover
The price for cucumbers has fallen lately as large numbers from Mexico entered the market. Suppliers are not too concerned, however, despite the drop in price. They say it's normal for such heavy supplies at this time of year and they expect the market to bounce back in the next few weeks.
"Prices have dropped lately due to the rush in supply out of Mexico," she said. "Currently, we are seeing an open product pricing in Mexico of $12-$13 for a 20lb box. In the next few weeks, we are hoping the price will climb back up as it has done historically. It's a normal pattern for this time of year and the market typically picks up once the supply out of Mexico eases."
"We regularly ship the Mini Persian cucumbers out of the Dominican Republic and Mexico in 20lb boxes at the wholesale level," she continued. "For the retail market, the cucumbers come in 1lb retail packages."
Publication date: 12/5/2017
Other news in this sector: