- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
- Scotts Miracle-Gro goes to pot
- US (OH): MMJ growers will have to break the law to start their first plants
- US: Cutting Edge Solutions and Hydrofarm announce exclusive distribution agreement
- New Kenyan coco peat producer sources locally
- How Alexander Udodov is tackling the challenges of agriculture in Russia head-on
Top 5 -last week
US: Toolkit helps growers understand the economics of seed
The toolkit is available at http://articles.extension.org/pages/74676/economic-risk-management-for-organic-seed-growers.
While organic food sales continue to increase, the organic seed supply lags behind in meeting the needs of farmers. OSA created these resources to support organic seed producers throughout the country to help fill this gap and provide growers more control over their seed supply.
The project will help farmers reduce financial risk in commercial seed production. While organic seed production is a developing industry and a viable economic opportunity for organic growers, there is uncertainty and risk. In particular, seed growers need mentorship in enterprise budgeting, record keeping, and marketing strategy.
The new toolkit includes webinar recordings from a daylong seed economics intensive held at the 9th Organic Seed Growers Conference in Corvallis, Oregon, this past February. These webinars were recorded live and presented by seed growers and agricultural economists. Trainings include instruction and case studies on inventory management, contracts and marketing, enterprise budgets, and more.
Seed growers will also find downloadable tools that they can adapt for their own business needs. The toolkit includes an enterprise budget tool to help farmers understand the costs associated with producing individual seed crops on their farms. Another tool helps farmers track labor costs related to seed production. Farmers will also find a planning tool to help guide decision making around how much and how often to produce foundation, stock, and production seed.
For more information:
Organic Seed Alliance
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/21/2018 US: Record number of Organic Trade Association members vote in Board election
- 09/11/2018 Government of Canada celebrates Organic Week
- 09/10/2018 "Congress should support organic farming"
- 08/27/2018 More than $8 million to help strengthen and grow Canada's organic sector
- 08/27/2018 "Organic food exports at mercy of EU discretion after no-deal Brexit"
- 08/24/2018 US: Edible Garden to supply organic leafy greens to national grocery chains
- 08/21/2018 Organic agriculture on the rise in Bulgaria
- 08/08/2018 How does an organic farm create its own organic fertilizer?
- 08/08/2018 US (PA): $500,000 for Rodale Institute to fund organic research
- 07/20/2018 Spain: CASI doubles acreage devoted to organic production
- 07/19/2018 US: Organic labels must be removed from fumigated imports
- 07/13/2018 "Conversations about organic must change"
- 07/12/2018 Austria: Organic cucumber rarities sold exclusively by Merkur
- 07/12/2018 US: Scholarship fund supports next generation of organic farmers
- 07/10/2018 US (ME): MOFGA welcomes new executive director Sarah Alexander
- 07/06/2018 US: Ocean Mist Farms announces increase in organic vegetable acreage
- 07/05/2018 US: Nature's Path leaves Organic Trade Association
- 07/04/2018 France launches plan to increase organic acreage
- 06/27/2018 Optimising vegetable crops for organic farming
- 06/26/2018 Australia: Robots boost organic tomato farming