Job offersmore »
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
- VP of Sales - Montreal, Canada
- IPM Consultant - Adelaide Plains, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Australia
- Substrate Grower - Launceston CBD, Tasmania
- Product manager for growing media - Finland or Estonia
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- US (AZ): The future of farming takes root
- Retractable roof helps AU greenhouse function with extremely low energy costs
- US: Regulatory barriers to developing innovative agricultural biotechnology
- Over 9 million views for this hydroponic lettuce video
- Ultra-thin MA film seeks to revolutionize packaging
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: Innovation with niche products
Kale, Lacinato kale, cardoons, chard, purple carrots and rosole - these are just some of the rather uncommon products that make up the Sipo range at this time of year.
Some of the products photographed on 12th October 2017
"Lacinato kale and kale are thriving. The former is more popular with Italian consumers, while the latter is mainly used abroad. We are selling huge amounts of it in northern Europe," explains Elisa Monticelli, marketing manager for Sipo.
Manager Massimiliano Ceccarini stresses that Sipo focuses on innovation without forgetting traditional products. "For example, we are currently selling triple the amount of endive than in the past few years. Thanks to our organisation and the professionalism of our producers, we have good quantities available despite the summer drought. This is thanks to company founder Franco Ceccarini and his management skills."
Cardoons from Romagna
Sipo focuses on researching, producing and promoting unique products that can offer real added value. Among these is cardoon from Romagna, whose production started a few days ago. "We cannot compete with mass undifferentiated products, but we are focusing on seasonal products grown in well-defined areas. Sipo also provides services that go beyond the mere supply of vegetables, as anyone can do that."
Ceccarini also stresses that consumers need help when making a purchase. For example, large stores could differentiate supplies more, dividing the products into types and not only into categories.
Massimiliano Ceccarini and Elisa Monticelli in a Sipo processing section
"I believe that it will be specialised companies offering fewer products but capable of communicating every detail of each (from cultivation to eating suggestions) that will stand out in the next few years. Those that are considered niche companies today will thrive. Consumer needs must be anticipated, not chased."
Via Fermignano 20
47814 Bellaria Igea Marina (RN)
Tel.: (+39) 0541 339711
Fax: (+39) 0541 339734
Publication date: 10/19/2017
Other news in this sector: