Job offersmore »
- Senior Banana Ripener - Swords, North County Dublin
- Senior Manager, Technical Advisory and Category Management - Vantaa Finland
- Junior Trader Europe Division - Europe
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: Insalatosa - new Little Gem lettuce solutions
When talking about lettuce, it seems impossible to introduce something new. But Stefania Benini from Cesenatico (Forlì-Cesena) managed it with "Insalatosa" - two Little Gem heads in an appealing packaging complete with information including recipes on how to enjoy lettuce in new ways.
"Spain and France have been enjoying Little Gem lettuce for years while, in Italy, it's only just gaining popularity. It's fragrant and sweet with a long shelf-life. In addition, it's very practical with little waste and available 12 months a year," explains owner Stefania Benini.
She also explains that she has seen Michelin-starred chefs grill it or serve it dipped in chocolate. "We can produce around 100 thousand plants a week. The company covers 70 hectares between Cesenatico and Cesena."
The packet weighs 250+ grams in total and contains two heads. "The lettuce can be eaten raw, cooked or with dips. Nothing goes to waste because these are single portions with long shelf-life thanks to vitamin B3."
The cardboard packet contains two heads protected by a film. On the back, there are recipes that suggest enjoying the lettuce "as an aperitif with dips and spicy condiments, grilled or even as dessert with chocolate. Insalatosa is perfect for a wide range of recipes."
Benini has been producing fresh salad since 1996 and supplies retailers as well as domestic and foreign markets. Thanks to the crops available, it can produce with wide rotations. Part of the company is dedicated to experimental fields to test new varieties and agronomic techniques.
Az. Agr. Stefania Benini
Via Radichiara 82, 47042
Tel.: (+39) 0547/404569
Fax: (+39) 0547/71475
Publication date: 6/21/2017
Other news in this sector: