Job offersmore »
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
- Manager Trucking Company - Azerbaijan
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- (junior) Agronomist China
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Klasmann-Deilmann takes over international distribution of Growcoon
- US: Patent for cooling method of electrical components in a geothermal well
- Netherlands: First well of geothermal doublet for ECW Andijk
- Soil to hydroponics: 50%-100%+ increase in tomato and pepper production
- Pythium root rot on hydroponically grown basil and spinach
Exchange ratesmore »
UK aquarium asks for lettuce donations to help their sea turtles
Sea Life has announced in a press release that it is also suffering because of the lettuce shortage in the UK. The company has eight aquariums in the UK with 12 green turtles which live on the scarce vegetables. They are calling on visitors to spare lettuce or broccoli for their shelled inhabitants who are seeing a shortage in their favorite meal.
“The green turtles live up to their name with their passion for greens,” Dan McLaughlan, an aquarium curator, said.
“They don’t mind a bit of kale or rocket now and again,” he said, but a squeeze on the supply of lettuce and broccoli means that feeding times are taking much longer because the turtles “ignore other offerings until they are quite sure the good stuff isn’t on the menu”.
According to a press release issued by Merlin Entertainments, which owns the Sea Life Centres, one green sea turtle – a teenager named Ernie who is living in Manchester– can get through 3kg of iceberg lettuce, 7kg of cucumber and 3kg of broccoli stems in a single week.
Donations from the public “will make all the difference” to keep the creatures fed, Merlin said.
Publication date: 2/14/2017
Other news in this sector: