Job offersmore »
- Global Segment Marketing Manager Vegetables
- Agronomist or Agricultural Engineer in Luxembourg or Georgia
- Nursery Project Coordinator Luxembourg
- Sales and Customer Support - New Zealand
- General Manager - Ontario
- SALES MANAGER - France
- KEY ACCOUNT MANAGER (Fresh Cut) – France
- Marketing Manager - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Key Account Manager Horticulture LED - Netherlands
- European Sales Manager – Based London or Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
- Canada: Trudeau put to work at new Lufa Farms greenhouse
- US: Coalition for Sustainable Organics advocates for organic hydroponics
- US: "Nature Fresh in discussions to build greenhouse facilities in Maine"
- NL: Chinese-style solar greenhouse about to open at WUR
- "3% more cucumbers with high-wire cultivation under lights"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Prominent Shopper Model
Fruit and vegetables as ambassadors of a store conceptDo you choose unprocessed, prepared, or ready-made products? The range of fruit and vegetables keeps expanding and creates more revenue. Therefore, it is the perfect category to add character to a store concept.
The fruit and vegetable category is on the rise. Of the existing range, sales are increasing and new products are being introduced. Prepared and ready-made products are creating more revenue, next to the sales of unprocessed products. Instead of convenience food being available only during the holidays, products such as freshly prepared ready-meals, soups and salads are now sold throughout the year. Compared to a category such as meat and fish, fruit and vegetables are taking up a more prominent position in the supermarket.
The positive image of the fruit and vegetable category can help strengthen a supermarket’s fresh and healthy profile. With the fruit and vegetable section as one of the first stops on the shopper’s route, a supermarket can instantly present itself with fresh produce and an appealing range of products. The category thus becomes defining for the store concept, both in appearance as in revenue.
Which products lead to an optimal revenue? That strongly depends on the store’s concept and its clients. A large service supermarket will offer a wide range of products, to reflect the store’s concept and meet its shoppers’ expectations. And a small scale express supermarket will focus on convenience, to accommodate hasty shoppers.
A well-constructed fruit and vegetable category stimulates a high turnover, which ensures a constant delivery of fresh produce. A wide range of products with a lot of variation can only be effective when its freshness is guaranteed. An extraordinary product that hardly sells will not lead to anything. What is more, it will negatively influence the presentation, something that is crucial when dealing with fresh produce. A fruit and vegetable category should have a fresh appearance, and wilted vegetables or damaged fruit are not part of that. The key to an attractive range is an efficient and effective selection of products.
For more information:
Wim van den Berg
+31 (0)6 5756 4346
Publication date: 1/17/2017
Other news in this sector: