- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Medior Sales Engineer - Netherlands
- General Manager Australia
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Сhief agronomist
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
- Finance Manager for a Leading International Fresh Produce Business
- Sales Consultants Fertilizer - various European countries
- Product & Efficiency Manager - Role Based in Holland with regular trips to the UK
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
These are the worst mistakes a farmer can make in HVAC design
HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning) systems are the best way to maintain ideal growing conditions to help optimize yields and minimize losses.
But sadly, HVAC costs are often underestimated due to lack of understanding or oversight.
Farmers think they can piece a system together themselves or draw simple quotes from online catalogs or home improvement stores.
HVAC is a complex system that has to be fitted to each farm’s needs, each farmer’s desires, and the constraints of the situation.
When farmers underestimate HVAC, they get themselves into a bind with investors and limit the production of the farm in the long run.
The majority of this underestimation comes from the myth that farmers can choose cheaper options without a significant impact on operating cost.
Surveys conducted by Dr. Nadia Sabeh, Founder of Doctor Greenhouse, show that most farmers budget 50% of their energy and maintenance (i.e. OpEx) costs for HVAC, but only budget 5-10% of their equipment costs (CapEx) on HVAC.
These expectations reflect a flawed assumption.
In reality, farmers who invest in a properly sized HVAC system on the front end can reduce the ongoing costs of operating their farm and increase yield.
This ends up being a worthwhile investment for any indoor farmer, whether growing in a greenhouse, warehouse, or container farm.
Read more at Upstart University
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 07/04/2018 Vacuum cooling for every small hold farmer on the planet
- 06/27/2018 US (CA): JSK cooling system for Sunniva
- 06/07/2018 Netherlands: IPHandlers builds new Perishable Centre
- 02/27/2018 North-east India: Farm-side cold storages for vegetables
- 01/04/2018 Absence of cold storage: Indian tomato farmers resort to distress sales
- 12/13/2017 Cold chain solutions for Nigerian farmers
- 12/13/2017 Fresh investment poised to bring innovative device to exporters worldwide
- 12/12/2017 India: Cold storage for growers in the orange bowl of Manipur
- 11/22/2017 What is hydronic cooling?
- 11/13/2017 China: Demand for refrigerated trucks is steadily growing
- 10/03/2017 Tecnova implements a greenhouse refrigeration system in Egypt
- 09/01/2017 Royal treatment for the 'King of the frozen fruits': the strawberry
- 06/07/2017 New monitoring solution for food retailers
- 05/17/2017 "If you don't jump on it quickly, CGMMV can easily get out of hand"
- 04/03/2017 China: Large cold chain logistics center to be built in Ganzhou
- 03/16/2017 Conviron announces new distributor for Colombia, Peru and Ecuador
- 02/02/2017 McGill researchers develop new passive cooling and ventilation solution
- 02/01/2017 Reducing ethylene levels allows higher storage temperatures for vegetables
- 01/03/2017 Cold storage capacity increasing globally
- 11/01/2016 Isocab introduces ‘the new foam’