Announcements

Job offersmore »



Tweeting Growers

Top 5 - yesterday

  • No news has been published yesterday.

Top 5 - last week

Top 5 - last month

Exchange ratesmore »




Ruben Houweling with Houweling’s Tomatoes

“About 80 percent of our propagation material goes out to the industry”

Located in Delta, BC, Houweling’s grows tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers from seed to harvest. “We like to maintain as much control as we can from the selection of seeds all the way to harvest,” says Ruben Houweling as he gives a tour of the company’s 20-acre propagation area. “About 80 percent of the seedlings that are grown in the nursery go out to the industry and the remainder 15-20 percent is used to grow our own tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers,” added Houweling, who is the General Manager of the Delta, BC location.


Mike Guenther and Ruben Houweling in front of cucumber seedlings.

Start from seed
During the months of November, December and January, the nursery is typically filled with material for local BC growers. Throughout the remainder of the year, seedlings make their way over to growers in Texas, Arizona and California with the highest amount going down south in July and August. Spring and fall are the slowest times of the year in the nursery and the slow months are used for the semi-annual cleanup, which includes power washing the entire facility. “In order to keep diseases out and deliver the highest quality seedlings possible, we start from seed and don’t bring in any living plants,” said Houweling. With each customer-grower, Houweling’s discusses the expectations and date of delivery as seedlings are grown and delivered as a custom batch for each single grower.


Cucumber seedlings that will be shipped out to customers in about six days.

Grafting process
About two weeks after seeding, the grafting process takes place. “This is the most complicated and delicate part of the propagation process,” says Mike Guenther, Propagation Manager. Good rootstock is taken from plant A and the fruit characteristics of plant B are added. “With the good rootstock, we give the plant a strong start and the upper variety (scion) is chosen for its fruit characteristics.” After grafting, the plants move into the recovery area where they stay for about six days. “Some varieties are more sensitive than others, so we build in a percentage for failure,” Guenther mentioned. “On average, the success rate is 95 to 98 percent.” The complete process from seeding until seedling takes about five to seven weeks, depending on the variety.

Video of the company's propagation process

New herb program
In addition to tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers, Houweling’s recently launched a herb program. “We are responding to the increased consumer interest of using fresh herbs in dishes,” said Houweling. “We’ve done research and have launched a program that is different from what is currently available in the market place.” Houweling’s herb products do not contain a sleeve, but a rustic, water-proof wrap that allows the customer to smell the product better. Because the wrap has excellent moisture retention, there is no need to water the plants. In ideal conditions, they can go 18 days without water. At the moment, Costco sells them in pairs, but they are only locally available. The plants grow in coconut fibre, a compostable product.

Selection of herbs from Houweling's new program with basil plants in the background.


Basil plant in coconut fibre

For more information:
Ruben Houweling
Houweling’s Tomatoes
Tel: (+1) 604-946-0844

Publication date: 5/23/2018

 


 

Other news in this sector:

6/14/2018 Mexico: New DTS plug-in tray for stone wool plugs
6/11/2018 Floating double tray system for hydroponic application
6/7/2018 Ellepot partners with Pindstrup in Russia
6/6/2018 India: Vegetable seed bank taking root in Palakkad
6/5/2018 Biodegradable mulch film made of Mater-Bi
5/29/2018 Malawi: Seed industry is essential to high productivity
5/25/2018 Sakata shows vegetables in Jordan, Uzbekistan
5/25/2018 "Seed production a bottleneck in Vietnam agriculture"
5/24/2018 Grafting as a way to obtain stronger plants
5/18/2018 Tailor-made plugs adapt to growers’ needs
5/16/2018 Netherlands: Eminent Seeds opens doors
5/14/2018 "New jet tubes ideal for Next Generation Growing"
5/11/2018 Scottish soft-fruit sector growth needs solid labour scheme
5/10/2018 FAQ regarding the New Worker Protection Standard
4/20/2018 US (GA): Chef believes future of local food lies in locally produced seeds
4/11/2018 A day in the plant pathology lab
4/10/2018 More African farms turning to hydroponics
4/9/2018 "Hot water treatment for vegetable seeds just got a little cheaper"
4/5/2018 US: Public libraries increasingly offer seeds
3/27/2018 US: Harris Seeds expands organic vegetable & flower seed line