Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Dutch want to build greenhouse on Iceland:
Tomato farmers worried about giant greenhouse in IcelandIcelandic tomato farmers have expressed concern over news that a Dutch company is planning to construct a giant greenhouse for growing organic tomatoes for export in Grindavík, Southwest Iceland.
Managing director of the Icelandic Association of Horticulture Producers Bjarni Jónsson told ruv.is that Icelanders consume 2,200 tons of tomatoes per year. The new greenhouse will have an annual production capacity of 13,500 tomatoes.
The plan is to export the tomatoes to the U.K. market but if that doesn’t prove successful, Icelandic tomato farmers will have a tough competitor, Bjarni reasoned.
“What happens if export is closed off all of a sudden? What happens to the production then?” Bjarni asked.
Publication date: 10/14/2013
Other news in this sector: