Job offersmore »
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop BelgiŽ / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- "We are now the only people producing the tubers hydroponically"
- Oxygen level in water: an underestimated factor in plant growth
- Bitcoin mining powers tomato greenhouse
- How the rise of Amazon will urge you to create a brand in fresh produce
- UV light provides novel method to improve crop performance and yield
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Russia: Year-round vegetables under Polar conditionsOutside, the temperatures drop to below -20 degrees Celsius, but inside the Severodvinsk greenhouse, vegetables are growing year-round.
Elena Borovina, the greenhouse owner, says that in addition to lettuce, dill and parsley, they grow less common crops like basil, rucola, Swiss chard, spinach, sorrel, cilantro and chives.
December 26, the greenhouse started seeding the main crops, and the first cucumber harvest is expected this month. Tomatoes are expected to ripen later, around the middle of April.
In numbers, the greenhouse acreage is divided as follows: around 0.3 ha is occupied with tomatoes, 0.5 ha are occupied with seedlings and greens, 2.2 ha are dedicated to cucumbers.
While the greenhouse focuses on vegetables, they also provide young plants to customers like a drama theatre, a central department store, hotels, administrative buildings, garden centers and many others. The most popular varieties are the ones resistant to the conditions of the cold northern summer, for example viola and pelargonium.
Despite these clients, the greenhouse complex is still dependent on contributions from the local budget that partly compensate expenses, which include a monthly gas bill of 57,000 euros.
Publication date: 3/13/2018
Other news in this sector: