- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Australia: Mini cuke grower doubles acreage to 5 ha
Family Fresh Farms doubled their acreage by adding another 2.5 hectare greenhouse last year. Because there's no natural gas in the area, bio-energy is used to heat the greenhouse. Not just environmentally friendly, biomass has proved economical with the escalating cost of LPG, Andrew tells us. "The Justsen boiler and Javo loader have been great tools."
Mini cukes for maximum return
The mini cucumbers produced at the greenhouse are supplied to Perfection Fresh, who supply all the major grocery chains. Andrew says it's difficult to grow this crop profitably, often needing twice daily picking to stay within size. But specializing has paid off, because, in Andrew's words: "We do it when others can't!"
To pick all those snack cucumbers, workers are needed. By participating in the Seasonal Worker Programme, Family Fresh Farms contributes to the economic development of Vanuatu. When it's harvest time, workers arrive from Vanuatu. They come for six months, go home, and return six monthslater.
Andrew is very pleased with this arrangement. "Vanuatu workers are generally very humble, appreciative and willing to follow instructions. They live in good accommodation on the farm."
Family Fresh Farms have got a solid operation going, it seems, especially considering this is their first foray in this sector. So are there any plans for expansion? "At 2 x 2.5 hectares, we are at maximum on this site", Andrew tells us. But there is still room for expansion: "We are evaluating sites elsewhere. It seems, as is true for most businesses, that if it is run professionally it can be sustainable."
For more information:
Family Fresh Farms
13 Kilpa Road
+61 (0)418 711412
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/21/2018 How does a pepper travel from the farm to your plate?
- 09/19/2018 Success of Agriculture Bill will be in the details, warns British Growers
- 09/19/2018 Bell peppers pampered at World Horti Center
- 09/18/2018 Efficient irrigation for blueberry grower
- 09/18/2018 France: Hotel puts stop to food waste with virtuous biosystem
- 09/17/2018 Nigeria: Wells Hosa Greenhouse will partner with government, private sector
- 09/17/2018 US (WY): Tomato grower pleads guilty to growing marijuana
- 09/14/2018 Earlier strawberry crop and year-round production with LED toplighting
- 09/14/2018 Belgian tomato group switching to hybrid lighting system
- 09/14/2018 Australian tomato grower goes from strength to strength using latest technology
- 09/14/2018 Abu Dhabi: Cultivation started in Al Dahra BayWa greenhouse
- 09/14/2018 US (VA): Year-round greenhouse draws tourists' attention to family farm
- 09/14/2018 AU: Katunga fresh to expand with 15 hectare cucumber greenhouse
- 09/12/2018 India: Women growers looking to save environment, conserve water
- 09/12/2018 Bristol man baffled by giant cucumbers
- 09/12/2018 Australia: Is your farm eligible for a grant of up to $500,000?
- 09/12/2018 US (MO): A hydroponic twist on the family farm
- 09/12/2018 Australia: Greenhouse growers tour Woolgoolga
- 09/11/2018 Largest organic nursery in Central America inaugurated in Panama
- 09/11/2018 US (NC): Hydroponic farm buzzing with activity