Job offersmore »
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop België / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- "We are now the only people producing the tubers hydroponically"
- Oxygen level in water: an underestimated factor in plant growth
- Bitcoin mining powers tomato greenhouse
- How the rise of Amazon will urge you to create a brand in fresh produce
- UV light provides novel method to improve crop performance and yield
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Vitamin D mushroom will be sold by retail this year
Soon, you won’t have to go to the chemist’s for vitamin D, you could just get it from supermarkets, for they’ll have mushrooms with vitamin D on their shelves. The mushrooms were developed by Banken Champignons, and a few weeks ago they were given the green light to enter the market with the mushrooms by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA).
Rob Banken introduced the vitamin D mushroom during Fruit Logistica 2016.
During a radio interview with Dutch channel BNR, Rob Banken said eating three mushrooms with vitamin D is enough for your daily intake. He also expects the vitamin mushrooms to be sold by retail this year. “I even think no other mushrooms will be found in supermarkets at some point, they’ll all have vitamin D.” Banken also says he’s in talks with companies that want to put the mushrooms on certain menus, such as hospital menus, which often need additional vitamin D.
Mushrooms create vitamin D under the influence of sunlight. Regular mushrooms don’t contain vitamin D because they’re grown in the dark. Banken Champignons imitates nature, and they add special lighting after the regular growth.
Please click here for the interview with BNR.
For more information:
Banken Champignons Group
6604 LV Wijchen, the Netherlands
T: +31 24 36 67 422
M: +31 6 53 86 64 03
Publication date: 3/1/2018
Other news in this sector: