- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
President National Farmers Union:
Labour shortage threatens UK horticulture sector
“The uncertainty on the future workforce is I think putting huge pressure on the horticulture sector,” Batters told Reuters in an interview just days after being elected the NFU’s first female president.
One of Britain’s largest berry producers, Haygrove in Ledbury, Herefordshire, said earlier this month it was relocating some raspberry and blueberry growing to China because of uncertainty over migrant labour caused by Britain’s decision to leave the European Union. “You have virtually zero unemployment in Herefordshire and yet have a requirement for 2,500 seasonal workers. If you haven’t got an availability of people to come and pick and pack and plant and grade those fruit, vegetable and flowers you will potentially see the sector shrinking,” Batters said.
Britain’s decision to leave the EU has also created uncertainty about future access to the most important market for its exports. “Europe has been an absolutely crucial market for British farmers because it is 500 million people on our doorstep. So clarity on what that trade deal looks like is essential.”
Batters said Britain must also become more serious about exploiting opportunities in the global marketplace.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/20/2018 "Helping growers with innovative products is at the heart of the company"
- 09/17/2018 Bejo introduces new sustainable seed coating
- 09/12/2018 Turkey: Turkish tomato growers drop the use of American seeds
- 09/10/2018 Which film suits your tomato planting the best?
- 09/10/2018 When should I remove the coating?
- 09/06/2018 UK fruit and veg growers can employ up to 2,500 migrants per year
- 09/05/2018 Levy-funded project creates online greenhouse toolbox for veg growers
- 09/04/2018 "LEDs bring the harvest of strawberries forward"
- 09/03/2018 "Intelligent Sprayer: commercialization approved"
- 09/03/2018 Increasing lettuce coloration with LEDs
- 08/22/2018 Kenya: Retired chemist grows vegetable seedlings for money
- 08/20/2018 "Compostable twine holds up well in the stress of hot summers"
- 08/09/2018 France: Vilmorin-Mikado acquires Danish seed company Advanseed
- 07/19/2018 Russia: URALCHEM gets 4.3 million USD for environmental projects
- 07/10/2018 "Horticulture in Syria is growing"
- 07/09/2018 “Biodegradable materials will become the standard”
- 07/05/2018 Pakistan: Punjab government makes plans to sell seed kits
- 07/03/2018 Busy days for greenhouse suppliers in Russia
- 06/29/2018 Italy: Verisem Distribution acquires Franchi Sementi
- 06/28/2018 Philippines: Seed supplier targets growing urban farming market