Job offersmore »
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop BelgiŽ / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- "We are now the only people producing the tubers hydroponically"
- Oxygen level in water: an underestimated factor in plant growth
- Bitcoin mining powers tomato greenhouse
- How the rise of Amazon will urge you to create a brand in fresh produce
- UV light provides novel method to improve crop performance and yield
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Nepal: Self-taught grower turns to aquaponicsA farmer of the Syangja district in Nepal has successfully implemented an aquaponics system to grow different vegetables.
Om Thapa, 48, has built a tunnel on the terrace of his three-storied house to grow vegetables using an aquaponics system. He has used stones, PVC pipe and thermocol inside the tunnel to grow different vegetables. While he is growing garlic, cucumber, tomatoes, carrot, onion and coriander on stones, spinach, chilly, strawberry, tomatoes, potatoes and mint and tomatoes have been cultivated in PVC pipe. Likewise, broccoli, cauliflower and potatoes have been grown in thermocols.
The young farmer learnt about aquaponics while staying in South Korea. When he returned Thapa knew about the aquaponics system through YouTube while he was staying in South Korea. Four years ago, he returned to Nepal and started farming using new techniques.
ďI have not taken any training. I learnt about aquaponics from YouTube and started vegetables farming accordingly,Ē he said, adding that he has invested Rs 1 million [9650 USD] in the project.
Read more at My Republica (Mohan Gurung)
Publication date: 2/27/2018
Other news in this sector: