Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Nepal: Self-taught grower turns to aquaponics
Om Thapa, 48, has built a tunnel on the terrace of his three-storied house to grow vegetables using an aquaponics system. He has used stones, PVC pipe and thermocol inside the tunnel to grow different vegetables. While he is growing garlic, cucumber, tomatoes, carrot, onion and coriander on stones, spinach, chilly, strawberry, tomatoes, potatoes and mint and tomatoes have been cultivated in PVC pipe. Likewise, broccoli, cauliflower and potatoes have been grown in thermocols.
The young farmer learnt about aquaponics while staying in South Korea. When he returned Thapa knew about the aquaponics system through YouTube while he was staying in South Korea. Four years ago, he returned to Nepal and started farming using new techniques.
“I have not taken any training. I learnt about aquaponics from YouTube and started vegetables farming accordingly,” he said, adding that he has invested Rs 1 million [9650 USD] in the project.
Read more at My Republica (Mohan Gurung)
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/18/2018 US: Groups ask Congress to support urban/innovative farms
- 09/18/2018 Brexit food security: An opportunity for vertical farming?
- 09/18/2018 CAN (QC): 2,000 square feet of gardens to be added to school
- 09/17/2018 US (GA): Hydroponic lettuce on the school lunch line
- 09/17/2018 Building the sustainable cities of the future
- 09/17/2018 Gotham Greens
- 09/14/2018 A farm on a shelf
- 09/13/2018 CAN (SK): Opportunities grow for Creighton container garden
- 09/13/2018 Container farm producer now also supplies farmers
- 09/12/2018 "Vertical farming sounds fantastic until you consider its energy use"
- 09/11/2018 Growing crops with roots in the mist
- 09/11/2018 US (GA): Campus dining uses produce grown in its greenhouse
- 09/11/2018 US (GA): $5 million to help reduce energy costs of indoor farming
- 09/10/2018 Malaysia: City dwellers grow veggies at home without soil
- 09/06/2018 Is urban farming economically feasible or is it a recipe for a financial failure?
- 09/06/2018 How the right sales channel can make or break your vertical farm
- 09/05/2018 "New responses to the way we grow food are a must to respond to the challenges of the future."
- 09/05/2018 US (PA): Plans advancing for greenhouse in former garage
- 09/04/2018 "We want to supply Amsterdam with locally grown food"
- 09/03/2018 South-Korea: As temperatures rise, farmers plant crops in tunnel