Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
"With microorganisms, you can tackle crazy roots in tomatoes"This month Water IQ International completed a partial research study into micro flora management in the propagation of vegetable plants. The aim was to show that a selection of resistant micro organisms at the root plays a key role in the resilience of plants. To demonstrate this, young tomato plants were injected with Rhizobium rhizogenes, the causes of excessive root growth. After a 12-week greenhouse trial at Groen Agro, the control plants all developed hairy root disease. No contamination was found in plants treated with the micro flora management approach from Water IQ.
Director of Water IQ R&D Freddy Dekkers: "Micro flora management aims to give growth opportunities to resistant microorganisms in the rhizosphere with a selective water treatment. The results of the research study do not surprise us in the sense that we work with mechanisms known in plant science. However, you rarely find such straightforward results. This is a pleasant confirmation that we are on the right track. We always want to be able to measure whatever we do. The time of shady remedies and trial and error is in the past, the interests are way too big for that."
The research study into hairy root disease was carried out by the Control in Food and Flowers Foundation, which is affiliated with Groen Agro Control. Principals were Plant Nursery P van Geest and Water IQ International.
For more information:
Water IQ International B.V.
Collse Heide 12
5674 VN Nuenen
Contactpersoon: Jeroen Krosse
Tel: +31 (0)40-3030800
Publication date: 2/28/2018
Other news in this sector: