Job offersmore »
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Hi Power main variety
NL: "Acreage lighted cucumbers to 80 hectares"In the Netherlands, the acreage of cucumbers under lights has increased considerably and now amounts to about 80 ha. Hi Power is again the main variety in 2018.
The Nunhems vegetable team on the HortiContact this week
According to the Nunhems Cucumber Team, a lot of experience has been gained in recent years, and this tells us that a cucumber plant and certainly Hi Power reacts very efficiently to artificial light. "Through individual visits and tours, these new developments are closely monitored and shared so that the most optimal result can be achieved."
"At the moment we see a number of cucumber companies with real winter production. They have installed a light level with about 190 mmol and are planting in November. Well before the new year they have harvested the first cucumbers."
The largest group of Hi Power growers under lights has installed approximately 90 mmol. They plant late December and reap the first fruits at the end of January. This cultivation has a wider begin spacing, 1.5 - 1.7 plants/m2. At the beginning of February, this plant density will be doubled by leaving a shoot.
"Hi Power works well in these crops because of its perfect quality, its labor friendliness and its high production up to the end of this lighted high-wire cultivation", says Nunhems. The lighted high-wire cultivation runs until mid-July.
For more information:
Nunhems Netherlands - Cucumber team
Publication date: 2/23/2018
Other news in this sector: