Job offersmore »
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Projectleider Export - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Sales representative - Eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & WV, USA
- Sales representative - Michigan, USA
- Assistant Grower - Delta (BC), Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- "Easier to clean and lasting longer than polystyrene"
- Klasmann-Deilmann takes over international distribution of Growcoon
- US: Patent for cooling method of electrical components in a geothermal well
- Netherlands: First well of geothermal doublet for ECW Andijk
- Soil to hydroponics: 50%-100%+ increase in tomato and pepper production
Exchange ratesmore »
Nepali farmers happy growing strawberriesKanchha Man Tamang, a member of the Japanese Agricultural In-service Training Institute Nepal, started growing strawberries on his farm in Kakani. He started with six plants, now strawberry farming has spread to over 1,300 hectares in the Nuwakot district. Inspired by Tamangís success as a strawberry farmer, his neighbours started growing the fruit too.
Strawberry farmers in Kakani and Okharpauwa, in the Nuwakot district, are earning more than ₹100,000 (1,250 euros) a year. These places have a favourable climate and soil conditions for strawberry farming. Kakani and Okharpauwa produce 400 tonnes of strawberry annually, according to the District Agricultural Office. Yearly sales are worth more than ₹60 million (750,000 euros).
The Kathmandu Post reported how the introduction of two high-yield varieties, Ankhime and Eyeberry, and use of tunnel farming to grow strawberries have led to increased cultivation of strawberry. Four years ago, farmers had to bring their strawberries to Kathmandu to sell them. Now they have set up the Strawberry Farming and Entrepreneurship Association that collects strawberries and markets them.
Publication date: 2/6/2018
Other news in this sector: