- Medior Sales Engineer - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Lead Auditor
- General Manager Australia
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
- Сhief agronomist
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Finance Manager for a Leading International Fresh Produce Business
- Sales Consultants Fertilizer - various European countries
- Product & Efficiency Manager - Role Based in Holland with regular trips to the UK
Top 5 -yesterday
- Italy: "Hydroponic cultivation lowers disease risk"
- Village Farms launches 'sweet' or 'smooth' campaign
- Egypt stops tomato exports due to TYLCV
- First PlanetProof Tommies cherry tomatoes on the shelves at Jumbo supermarkets
- What growers can learn from the successes and mistakes made in the flower industry
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Germany: Growing summer-tasting tomatoes all year round
In 2015, the entrepreneurs began exploring ways to grow tomatoes year-round so they could offer a local for local product in the winter months to their retail customers. Creating the business case was a challenge as electricity prices are high and the percentage of customers able to pay a somewhat higher price is quite low. The co-owners discussed various options with Philips Lighting and advisors from their horticulture department calculated a business case for the 2.5 ha installation. These calculations provided input for intensive discussions with the company’s retail customers to make this strategic decision. The goal was to expand the growing season across the entire year and strengthen customer loyalty by offering a unique local for local product for their region.
In 2015, Neurather Gartner became the first German nursery to implement grow lights in 2.5 ha of their nursery. They worked with Philips Lighting’s partners, BE de Lier/Codema and Agrolux, to install the system, which combines Philips SON-T HPS toplighting with Philips GreenPower LED interlighting. Baum: “We are very happy with the support we received during this project. A plant specialist from Philips Lighting helped us select the suitable lighting product and light recipe based on the varieties of tomatoes we grow. BE de Lier/Codema and Agrolux were very competent and answered all of the questions we had.” Based on the results achieved in the initial installation, the company installed a similar hybrid grow light system in an additional 5 ha greenhouse in October 2017. Thanks to these lighting installations, fresh, summer-tasting Mini Cherry, Mini Cocktail, Mini Date tomatoes are now found year-round on German supermarket shelves in North Rhine-Westphalia.
For more information:
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/16/2018 South Africa: "The extent of farm attacks must be internationally recognized"
- 10/16/2018 Greenhouse vegetable grower to launch seven products at PMA
- 10/16/2018 “South African farmers need security of land and assets”
- 10/16/2018 US (AZ): Chef partners with local grower
- 10/15/2018 Italy: "Hydroponic cultivation lowers disease risk"
- 10/15/2018 Sarah Dressel: New Paltz woman is a vibrant symbol of farming’s future
- 10/15/2018 Italy: the fennel campaign has started in Emilia-Romagna
- 10/15/2018 “Watercress power food for all seasons”
- 10/15/2018 US (NV): Aquaponics farm increases tomato yields by 20% with new lighting
- 10/12/2018 Canada: Opportunity Scholarships awarded to students pursuing education in agriculture and food-related fields
- 10/12/2018 Cees and Nynke Groenewegen grow 25 tomato varieties in Sweden
- 10/11/2018 Canada: Winners announced of 2018-19 ASPB Conviron Scholars Program
- 10/11/2018 Malaysia: Three friends supply fresh veggies thanks to NFT
- 10/10/2018 “I care about Dutch product a great deal”
- 10/10/2018 Serbia arrests 36 for alleged smuggling of EU fruit to Russia
- 10/10/2018 Can the Russian greenhouse industry overcome the challenges?
- 10/10/2018 Four million sealed bell peppers for cruise ships and military bases per year
- 10/08/2018 From rose greenhouse to vineyard under glass
- 10/08/2018 US (TX): Big Tex Urban Farms donate more to local community thanks to oxygen nanobubbles
- 10/08/2018 US (MI): Flint resident wants to beat the food desert with a greenhouse