Job offersmore »
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Projectleider Export - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Sales representative - Eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & WV, USA
- Sales representative - Michigan, USA
- Assistant Grower - Delta (BC), Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Klasmann-Deilmann takes over international distribution of Growcoon
- US: Patent for cooling method of electrical components in a geothermal well
- Netherlands: First well of geothermal doublet for ECW Andijk
- Soil to hydroponics: 50%-100%+ increase in tomato and pepper production
- Pythium root rot on hydroponically grown basil and spinach
Exchange ratesmore »
Philippines: Growing Thai warty pumpkinsThe popular warty pumpkins from Thailand might do well in the Philippines. They are reported to be high-yielding, resistant to diseases, and tasty. Dutch company East-West Seed developed two warty varieties called Prakaingern and Prakaithong.
The Prakaithong is a prolific hybrid that produces highly uniform large flat round warty fruits that weigh 6 to 8 kilos each. The fruit flesh is dark yellow with excellent eating quality. This hybrid has intermediate resistance to leaf curl virus, papaya ring spot virus, and another virus called ZYMV for short.
According to Ric Reyes, East-West’s Global Product and Market Combination manager, the warty pumpkins are very delicious. Their eating quality is better than many traditional varieties in the market. He really believes that the warty varieties are worthwhile introducing in the Philippines.
A newsbits.mb.com article explains how growing pumpkins has a number of advantages. For one, it is not as expensive to grow compared to other high-value crops. The seeds for planting are not as expensive as other vegetable hybrids. The crop can be grown in the open field and can just be allowed to crawl on the ground.
Publication date: 1/26/2018
Other news in this sector: