- General Manager Australia
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
- Сhief agronomist
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Finance Manager for a Leading International Fresh Produce Business
- Sales Consultants Fertilizer - various European countries
- Product & Efficiency Manager - Role Based in Holland with regular trips to the UK
- Highly Experienced Agribusiness Professional now Available
- International Business student looking for an internship
- Responsable des cultures en pleine terre pour le nord de la France - Northern France
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
- Spain: Marketability probability study of cherry tomato cultivars
- The newest technology in lighting your commercial grow
- Roadmap for collaboration on biocontrol solutions
- Agricultural R&D spending in high-income countries shrinking
- US (FL): Agriculture, natural resources and food industries grew 2007-2016
Top 5 -last week
CAN (ON): In pursuit of perfect peppers
Jordan Kniaziew, vice-president of sales and marketing at Leamington-based Orangeline Farms says since his family entered farming in 2000, they’ve focused on finding the best varieties and seed selections for peppers and other crops.
Since 2013, the family has been growing, packing and shipping its own products — including award-winning peppers and greenhouse strawberries – under the Zing! Healthy Foods brand.
“We’re always looking at growing products that fit the taste profiles we’re after,” says Kniaziew. “In peppers, our core product, we’ve seen there’s room for growth in the category overall by growing peppers for every meal – in fajitas or stir-fry, scrambled eggs and as snacks.”
In addition to common red, yellow and orange peppers, Zing! offers packages of “chef samplers” under specific taste profiles such as sweet and hot peppers, as well lunchbox peppers. The company has won multiple awards for its peppers and other products including a Premier’s Award for Agri-Food innovation Excellence for its greenhouse strawberries.
Kniaziew says the family’s initial interest in growing food stemmed from his parents’ first careers in health-related fields. Kniaziew’s father is a local optometrist, his mother is a nurse and his brother studied sciences. The Kniaziews continue to value a healthy, active lifestyle and they see farming as an extension of the healthcare field.
But an interest in growing healthy food and a proven track record of growing quality greenhouse peppers didn’t necessarily mean an easy road for Zing!. Kniaziew says when the company began its branding process, it had to build its customer base from scratch.
Today, they boast a handful of growing partners and a staff team that reaches 85 at peak season and Kniaziew says the company continues to grow its family of products with a focus on maximizing production while maintaining its brand’s superior quality.
“There’s innovation not just in selecting the right variety, but in finding the best way to grow it, pack it, brand it and deliver it to the consumer,” Kniaziew says. “It’s important the consumer gets a full experience, and that the product isn’t being hidden in the back of the grocery store.”
This project was funded in part through Growing Forward 2 (GF2), a federal-provincial-territorial initiative.
Source: Ag Innovation Ontario (Lisa McLean) - photos: Orangeline Farms
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/12/2018 Canada: Opportunity Scholarships awarded to students pursuing education in agriculture and food-related fields
- 10/12/2018 Cees and Nynke Groenewegen grow 25 tomato varieties in Sweden
- 10/11/2018 Canada: Winners announced of 2018-19 ASPB Conviron Scholars Program
- 10/11/2018 Malaysia: Three friends supply fresh veggies thanks to NFT
- 10/10/2018 “I care about Dutch product a great deal”
- 10/10/2018 Serbia arrests 36 for alleged smuggling of EU fruit to Russia
- 10/10/2018 Can the Russian greenhouse industry overcome the challenges?
- 10/10/2018 Four million sealed bell peppers for cruise ships and military bases per year
- 10/08/2018 From rose greenhouse to vineyard under glass
- 10/08/2018 US (TX): Big Tex Urban Farms donate more to local community thanks to oxygen nanobubbles
- 10/08/2018 US (MI): Flint resident wants to beat the food desert with a greenhouse
- 10/05/2018 US (IL): Organic farm sees "healthy and productive tomatoes" with clipper system
- 10/05/2018 CAN (ON): Tomato grower to be sentenced for illegal cannabis
- 10/04/2018 Courgette: a good beginning for the autumnal campaign
- 10/03/2018 CAN (BC): Village Farms Runs for the Cure
- 10/03/2018 Tomato grower celebrates 10 years in Tunisia
- 10/03/2018 UAE: Pure Harvest reaps 1.5 million USD investment
- 10/03/2018 CGC Bus Tour: challenges for Canadian enterprises in a good market
- 10/02/2018 Chinese flag made of peppers
- 10/01/2018 Minister MacAulay concludes second "Growing Canadian Agriculture" tour