Job offersmore »
- Account Manager European Countries
- Business Operations Manager - Guyra, Australia
- Export Commercial Assistant - Barcelona, Spain
- Farm Construction Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Lemon/Citrus Packing-house Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US (MN): Silver Bay aquaponics venture goes belly upBruce Carman Jr. talked a good talk. But after more than a year of hype, the 59-year-old entrepreneur has little to show for his pledge to demonstrate that aquaponics will be "the way of the future," as he told the News Tribune in 2016.
Doing business as Mariner Farms LLC, he had planned to take over, scale up and operate a Silver Bay aquaponics facility — which raised tilapia and used fish waste to help grow produce in an adjacent greenhouse — previously run by the University of Minnesota Duluth. But Carman's plans to commercialize the operation never materialized, and the research facility was simply forced to close.
Even as his efforts stalled in Silver Bay, Carman went off to peddle the idea of building additional facilities in other places. He successfully persuaded the city of International Falls to offer him a 1½ -acre site on the east side of town for $1, for the purpose of constructing Mariner Farms' second operation.
That property, too, sits unused today.
Meanwhile, Carman's legal problems continue to escalate.
Read more at the Duluth News Tribune (Peter Passi)
Publication date: 1/2/2018
Other news in this sector: