Job offersmore »
- Account Manager European Countries
- Business Operations Manager - Guyra, Australia
- Export Commercial Assistant - Barcelona, Spain
- Farm Construction Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Lemon/Citrus Packing-house Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Workers safe after carbon monoxide incident at Windset FarmsA big scare for the Delta BC team of Windset Farms last Saturday. After exposure to carbon monoxide, 43 employees had to receive medical evaluation and treatment. All of them were released from care the same night. "We are grateful to our site management, our health and safety officer and our first responders for taking immediate steps to ensure everyone's safety", COO John Newell speaks.
The incident happened at the Delta BC greenhouse complex of Windset Farms, a 45-acre complex where tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers are being grown.
In preparation for the new crop, the greenhouse of course is being rinsed thoroughly. "We wash and disinfect the greenhouse with gas powered pressure washers, which is considered a standard practice in our industry." When an employee reported a feeling of being unwell, the on-site health and safety team took immediate steps to ensure the safety protocols were followed. This included the immediate evacuation of the greenhouse, a call for emergency transport and a process of triaging those most affected. "We took steps to ensure anyone who was exposed received medical evaluation."
Over the coming days and weeks, the team focuses on supplying their workers with the required care. "Our people and their health and safety in the workplace is our top priority," says Newell. We will be reviewing what occurred and considering what changes to our protocols must be enacted, working with both public and private agencies to fully understand and further strengthen our response and programs."
Investigation will include whether roof-windows were open enough and the use and the amount of the washers.
Publication date: 12/11/2017
Other news in this sector: