Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Philippines: Two new superhot chillies developed by East-West SeedTwo new Habanero chilli varieties developed by East-West Seed are said to perform well under Philippine conditions both in the wet and dry seasons. This was learned from Ramil Panergayo, the company’s product and market combination manager.
These are the Piquante Red and the Piquante Yellow which are claimed to be three times hotter than the company’s current bestseller, Red Hot. These Habanero varieties produce bigger fruits than Red Hot. It takes only 100 to 120 fruits of the Habanero types to make a kilo whereas it takes more than 600 fruits of Red Hot to make a kilo.
The Piquante Red has strong plant vigor and is considered early maturing at 75 to 85 days after transplanting. The fruits which are 4.5 x 3 cm are light green when immature but bright red when ripe. Aside from its pungency, it is also prized for its very high aroma that connoisseurs usually look for.
Piquante Yellow also has strong plant vigor and good foliage cover that protects the fruits from sun scalding. Fruits are bright yellow when mature with high pungency and aroma. The fruit is 4.3 cm long and 3.3 cm wide.
Read more at the Manila Bulletin (Zac B. Sarian)
Publication date: 12/12/2017
Other news in this sector: