- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Medior Sales Engineer - Netherlands
- General Manager Australia
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Сhief agronomist
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
- Finance Manager for a Leading International Fresh Produce Business
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Digitalisation in agriculture and the agri-food chain
At the high-level event, the pivotal role of agricultural cooperatives in driving the sector towards digital transformation was underlined.
Opening the event, Cogeca President Thomas Magnusson said “Digital technologies can help to achieve a more sustainable and competitive agriculture sector. Failure to uptake many innovative technologies on farms in the past have been down to the size of the farm, a lack of training or the high investments required. Agri-cooperatives can help their farmer owners overcome these challenges”.
Key findings of the study on "Agricultural cooperatives and digital technology" were presented by senior agricultural experts from Price Waterhouse at the Forum, who outlined the impact on the sector and the strategic challenges arising. Experts and representatives from Danish Agro, DRV Germany, DCoop Andalusia, GAIA EPICHEIREIN and the Fresh Produce Center also shared their insights and presented the different initiatives that agri-cooperatives are underpinning across Europe.
Coordinator of the Business Presidency Fora and representative of Coop de France Christian Pées said "Digitalisation and the efficient use of big data are revolutionising business models and processes in the agri-food chain. Digital technologies have given new momentum to the traceability of food and consumer information. Whilst new markets are developing, we need to strategically address the challenges and seize the opportunities, to better understand consumer behaviour and expectations, as well as to improve B2B relations along the chain".
Outlining ways to maximize the potential of the sector via digitalization, Mr Magnusson called for a coherent EU strategy to promote a digital transformation of the agri-food sector. We need the right infrastructures and access to broadband and satellite to solve the digital divide. The current legal framework for the collection, use and exchange of agricultural data is quite complex and fragmented. We need to develop a code of conduct on agricultural data sharing. Training and education is also essential”, he concluded.
For more information:
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/18/2018 Using machine learning to make cultivation recommendations
- 10/18/2018 Remote detection of growth dynamics in red lettuce
- 10/17/2018 Agriculture: Drones in the air - sensors in the ground
- 10/16/2018 Bell pepper year round with LED or Hybrid Lighting
- 10/15/2018 Will America's future farmers be robots?
- 10/15/2018 "Ultra-wide LED spectrum benefits chemical expression in cannabis"
- 10/12/2018 "Stronger crop and cleaner cultivation with oxyhydrogen"
- 10/11/2018 European seed industry, unanimously in favor of CRISPR
- 10/10/2018 "We believe in a co-creative approach within the greenhouse horticulture sector"
- 10/10/2018 Does it make economic sense for you to install grow lights?
- 10/10/2018 "AI enables cutting costs and streamlining operations"
- 10/10/2018 USDA awards funding for light and plant health research
- 10/09/2018 Climate cell on wheels helps Dutch growers with LED dilemma
- 10/09/2018 App prevents heat illness for farm workers
- 10/08/2018 Parametrization of aerodynamic and canopy resistances for modeling evapotranspiration of greenhouse cucumber
- 10/05/2018 Plastic-eating mushrooms aid in combating growing waste crisis
- 10/05/2018 "It is not necessary to clean the irrigation system during crop rotation"
- 10/04/2018 Research into various light spectra
- 10/03/2018 Havecon opens North America office
- 10/02/2018 ERP software gives growers full view of operations