Job offersmore »
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop BelgiŽ / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- "We are now the only people producing the tubers hydroponically"
- Oxygen level in water: an underestimated factor in plant growth
- Bitcoin mining powers tomato greenhouse
- How the rise of Amazon will urge you to create a brand in fresh produce
- UV light provides novel method to improve crop performance and yield
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Looking back: 10 years of Kwekerij de Kabel
"To be successful you have to move with the market"
Kwekerij de Kabel is celebrating its 10th birthday. This was extensively celebrated last weekend with a food truck festival. The guests were welcomed with a tasty tomato snack, and tomato was also an important ingredient in many other dishes.
Joost Barendse and Richard Hartensveld
Differences now and then
Co-owner Richard Hartensveld looks back at the past decade with us. "Compared to ten years ago, companies are getting bigger. Entrepreneurs are looking for each other and need one another. If you look at our company, we are only a small part of the market with 18 hectares. Prominent brings together 400 hectares, and this leads to a stronger market position." Segmentation is also increasing. "Ten years ago there were 3 or 4 different tomato varieties within Prominent. Now there are 20." Another striking difference mentioned by Richard is that growers themselves are increasingly consciously involved in sales. "Growers are now taking on the commercial side professionally."
The most important lesson that Richard has learnt in recent years, is that you have to be open to change. "To be successful, you have to move with the market. The climate among staff, finance, customers and suppliers isn't the same as it was a few years ago. Flexibility is hugely important."
Future plans and the Westland
Richard: "Over the coming years we want to experience even more growth. If we can do this within the Westland it would be great, but the options are limited. The available plots are often small and fragmented. If you want to expand, you will have to work with four or five locations on the long term. This isn't ideal. I also think the tendency to work together with growers will continue. As Kwekerij de Kabel we are a collaboration consolidation. If we ever collaborate with a large party, internationalisation may be an option, but this isn't a goal in itself. It would really have to add something to the current company."
For more information:
Kwekerij de Kabel
0031 (0) 15 380 1775
Publication date: 11/24/2017
Other news in this sector: