Job offersmore »
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop BelgiŽ / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- "We are now the only people producing the tubers hydroponically"
- Oxygen level in water: an underestimated factor in plant growth
- Bitcoin mining powers tomato greenhouse
- How the rise of Amazon will urge you to create a brand in fresh produce
- UV light provides novel method to improve crop performance and yield
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US (NY): Bronx apartment building includes aquaponics greenhouseLike many new buildings being built in New York City, Bedford Green House in the Bronx will be energy efficient with an environmentally friendly design. But thanks to a rooftop aquaponics greenhouse, it will also encourage its residents to try their hand at urban farming.
The 13-story, 118-unit Bedford Green House in Bedford Park will be home to more than 160 residents. The supportive and affordable housing development will cost $56.8 million and was spearheaded by Project Renewal. Gov. Andrew Cuomo awarded $6.2 million in funding for the project through the New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistanceís Homeless Housing and Assistance Program in February.
The aquaponics greenhouse will enable residents to grow produce and raise fish such as tilapia. And since the growing platforms are able to be vertically stacked, the residents will be able to grow more produce than they would with traditional soil farming methods.
Residents will also be able to work with Project Renewalís horticultural therapist to grow their own food all year round. Additionally, chefs from the nonprofitís Culinary Arts Training Program will teach healthy cooking classes in the rooftop greenhouseís demo kitchen for residents and their neighbors in the community.
Read more at Metro US
Publication date: 12/4/2017
Other news in this sector: