- Medior Sales Engineer - Netherlands
- General Manager Australia
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
- Сhief agronomist
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Finance Manager for a Leading International Fresh Produce Business
- Sales Consultants Fertilizer - various European countries
- Product & Efficiency Manager - Role Based in Holland with regular trips to the UK
- Highly Experienced Agribusiness Professional now Available
- International Business student looking for an internship
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
- US (FL): First harvest approaching for hydroponic hops greenhouse
- Paraguay: Authorities seize 30,000 kg of contraband tomatoes
- "New orange bell pepper variety named Raptor"
- New Dutch Agricultural Counsellor, Arie Veldhuizen was introduced in Bulgaria
- CAN (ON): "Avoid having biomass sent to landfill"
Top 5 -last week
November 16, Petersburg
US (VA): Ginger and turmeric a niche crop option for local growers
This Cooperative Extension event will include indoor classroom presentations and a visit to the fields where participants will learn about harvest, washing and market preparation for the two crops.
“Both ginger and turmeric are considered healthy spices. Nationwide, the consumption of ginger and turmeric has increased significantly,” said Dr. Reza Rafie, VSU Extension horticulture specialist. “Participants will learn about the proper conditions for growing and marketing ginger and turmeric.”
The event will feature several guest speakers, including Dr. Shoba Ghosh, associate chair for research in the Department of Internal Medicine at Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, who conducts clinical research using turmeric; and Dr. Theresa Nartea, VSU Extension specialist in marketing & agribusiness, and Wanda Johnson, VSU Extension associate culinary demonstration specialist.
Local ginger growers Bill Cox from Casselmonte Farm, Michael Clark from Planet Earth Diversified, and Richard Harrison from the Farm at the Red Hill will share their experiences with participants and answer questions. Several buyers will also attend the field day and visit with potential new growers.
Ginger and turmeric are flavorful spices commonly used in cooking. Ginger is a flowering, herbaceous, perennial plant; turmeric is a plant in the ginger family. Each has medicinal properties that can be traced back thousands of years. Small farmers can produce these niche crops for health-conscious consumers.
Registration is $10 per person. To register visit www.ext.vsu.edu/calendar, click on the event and then click on the registration link.
If you need further information, or are a person with a disability and desire any assistive devices, services or other accommodations to participate in this activity, please contact Agriculture & Natural Resources Program office at (804) 524-5960 / (800) 828-1120 (TDD) during business hours of 8 am. and 5 p.m. to discuss accommodations no later than five days prior to the event.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/15/2018 US (CA): Managing organic production systems to promote plant health
- 10/15/2018 HortiFlor Zimbabwe in photos
- 10/12/2018 ESA Annual Meeting sets new record of attendance
- 10/11/2018 "AHC 2020 & Horti ASIA 2020 bridge science and commerce"
- 10/10/2018 Application Pro Manager Mastercourse Vegetables in full swing
- 10/10/2018 US (FL): New online course on irrigation water and treatment
- 10/10/2018 HortiFlor Zimbabwe opens its doors
- 10/10/2018 UK: Growing media developments in vegetable propagation
- 10/09/2018 Knowledge is key at 7th International Propagation Seminar
- 10/09/2018 "Diversity in visitors resulted in good quality attendance"
- 10/09/2018 140 kg large pumpkin brightens up Shanghai Chenshan Gardens
- 10/09/2018 “Once a good basis has been laid, it is about the fine-tuning, the details”
- 10/08/2018 Canadian Greenhouse Conference'18: here's the recap
- 10/08/2018 "Greenhouse as starting point for new products and updates"
- 10/08/2018 UK: Latest research to be revealed at Soft Fruit Day
- 10/08/2018 Australia: PCA members to go on tour again
- 10/08/2018 US (VA): VSU to host 31st Annual Aquaculture Field Day
- 10/05/2018 International Asparagus Days conference - programme finalised
- 10/05/2018 "Zimbabwe will become one of Africa's largest exporters"
- 10/05/2018 "Once the foundation is right, it's about the refinement, the details"