Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Workers safe after carbon monoxide incident at Windset Farms
- Hydropothecary announces expansion plans
- "With unemployment at record lows, labor is our biggest challenge"
- Australia: New project to drive agriculture innovation in Victoria
- Nominees for the 2018 Fruit Logistica Innovation Awards are announced
Top 5 - last month
- US (TX): Tarrant County College board approves campus greenhouse
- Partial replacement of PAR light by far red light in tomato
- NL: New Geothermal Energy Alliance in South Holland
- German Agricultural Society and Fairtrade enter strategic partnership in Africa
- US (ME): Aquaponic grower secures $1.6M to expand greenhouse
Exchange ratesmore »
From CEA to IPA:
Rough introduces the HopsHouse: a single-solution hydroponic hops greenhousesRough Brothers has announced the launch of HopsHouse, a single-solution greenhouse designed to optimize yields through integrated systems and precision farming. It is the first single-solution hydroponic greenhouse for year-round hops growth and harvests, anywhere from 2-5 times a year. HopsHouse will provide growers and breweries a competitive advantage, supplying a fresher and more local product- straight from the bine to the brewery.
Hops are a relative to cannabis and grow similarly to hydroponic tomato vines. RBI has worked in both industries for a number of years. A team of crop scientists, engineers, growers and beer enthusiasts from RBI took what they know about the two plants and successfully designed a controlled environment that allowed hops to grow and flower after 3 months. The team grew 5 different hops rhizome varieties, and tested different nutrient and lighting combinations to ensure the best rate of growth.
The HopsHouse is offered in two different sizes: 30’ x 60’, starting at $119,495 and 30’ x 180’ starting at $149,495. Pricing includes necessary systems and equipment. Options to customize are available.
“The craft beer industry is growing. We saw an opportunity and we are running with it,” said Tom Vezdos, RBI Vice President and Divisional Manager of Commercial Greenhouses. “The introduction of HopsHouse allows breweries and growers to be more independent. No longer will breweries and growers be at the mercy of big beer conglomerates or inclement weather.”
The overall beer market is a $107.6 billion industry, according to the Brewers Association for National Beer Stats, with small and craft breweries contributing $67.8 billion to the US economy. With Anheuser-Bush’s acquisition of SAB Miller International, which includes SAB Hop Farms located in South Africa, craft breweries have seen their supply completely cut off. The introduction of HopsHouse will allow breweries and growers to be more independent. A study by Hops Growers of America reported that nearly 90 million pounds of hops were harvested in 2016.
For more information:
Publication date: 10/19/2017
Other news in this sector: