Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Yellow pear tomato going strong for two centuriesIf staying power is the mark of a good tomato then yellow pear is a world beater.
It has been avidly grown by gardeners for more than two centuries.
Despite being called yellow pear, it is definitely not a pear but takes its name from being pear-shaped and bright golden yellow.
A prolifically fruiting cherry tomato first grown in Europe, it is the best known of a group of heritage tomatoes described as pear tomatoes.
There are similar red and orange fruit, along with a cultivar called beam’s yellow pear that is often grown in containers.
Possibly because of its novel colour compared to traditional red tomatoes, it became a favourite in the US after it was introduced there in the early 1800s.
Read more at The Weekly Times (Tony Fawcett)
Publication date: 10/5/2017
Other news in this sector: