- General Manager Australia
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
- Сhief agronomist
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Finance Manager for a Leading International Fresh Produce Business
- Sales Consultants Fertilizer - various European countries
- Product & Efficiency Manager - Role Based in Holland with regular trips to the UK
- Highly Experienced Agribusiness Professional now Available
- International Business student looking for an internship
- Responsable des cultures en pleine terre pour le nord de la France - Northern France
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Fluence illuminates Las Vegas' new cannabis vertical farm
By focusing their mission on continual consistency, Franklin BioScience is on the forefront of cannabis cultivation, extraction and production by controlling their manufacturing process from start to finish. They have been able to achieve their goal of delivering consistent products to the market by investing in research, technology and focusing on operations efficiencies to increase crop yields and potency while reducing operating costs. Franklin BioScience operates under two brands: Altus Labs which delivers a medical-grade, cannabis-infused swallowable pill and Lucky Edibles which provides “sweet and discrete” flavored mints to the recreational market.
Franklin BioScience Transitions to LED
Like many cannabis cultivators, historically Franklin BioScience has had success growing under high pressure sodium (HPS) lamps. However, after being awarded a cultivation license in Las Vegas, Nevada, Franklin BioScience started to explore other cultivation practices and lighting technologies to address cultivation challenges unique to Las Vegas. Prime real estate in Las Vegas is limited and expensive, and with unbearably hot temperatures, it is costly (and sometimes impossible) to maintain optimal climate control for indoor growing. Franklin launched a research trial in its Denver facility to evaluate several different vendors in the LED space, Fluence and two others. “We ran a controlled study across multiple harvests comparing HPS with LED lights side-by-side, and Fluence outperformed the others significantly,” said Farudi.
Franklin BioScience Fluence-Powered Vertical Farm
After the trial, Franklin BioScience worked with the Fluence team to design their Las Vegas facility. The vision was to transform both the propagation/vegetative and flower space into a state-of-the-art vertical farm, building upon the method proven successful in their Denver research lab. Their new vertical farm deploys Fluence SPYDRx PLUS on the bottom layer and Fluence VYPRx PLUS on the top layer of rolling-rack systems from Greenhaus Industries in flower, and Fluence SPYDRx and Fluence RAZRx in vegetative. The rolling rack systems outweigh traditional tables by decreasing the amount of static aisles, and the vertical racks increase cultivation real estate/canopy square footage in each room by 2-3x. The rolling racks also enable the cultivation team to move in and out of the canopy space with ease. The unique cohesive partnership between the Fluence lighting systems and the rolling racks allowed Franklin BioScience to more than double their production in the same real estate square footage as compared to traditional HPS grow techniques.
Franklin BioScience has proven the value in researching and deploying an array of innovative cultivation techniques and technologies, including Fluence lighting solutions. By maximizing their real estate, increasing their light intensity and increasing their energy efficiency, Franklin BioScience has achieved their goals across the board with an increase in yield and potency, and a decrease in overall energy costs.
For more information:
4129 Commercial Center Drive
Austin, TX 78744
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/09/2018 Canadian Greenhouse Conference '18: here's the recap
- 10/09/2018 "Importance of the propagation stage one of the biggest lessons learned"
- 10/01/2018 Niche event unites the seeds industry
- 10/01/2018 "Pyramid-shaped pots promotes excellent drainage"
- 09/28/2018 "Growers have expanded their crop protection products beyond standard chemical controls"
- 09/24/2018 Greenyard to sell horticultural division
- 09/24/2018 “A greenhouse so clean, you can perform a surgery in it”
- 09/20/2018 "Helping growers with innovative products is at the heart of the company"
- 09/17/2018 Bejo introduces new sustainable seed coating
- 09/12/2018 Turkey: Turkish tomato growers drop the use of American seeds
- 09/10/2018 Which film suits your tomato planting the best?
- 09/10/2018 When should I remove the coating?
- 09/06/2018 UK fruit and veg growers can employ up to 2,500 migrants per year
- 09/05/2018 Levy-funded project creates online greenhouse toolbox for veg growers
- 09/04/2018 "LEDs bring the harvest of strawberries forward"
- 09/03/2018 "Intelligent Sprayer: commercialization approved"
- 09/03/2018 Increasing lettuce coloration with LEDs
- 08/22/2018 Kenya: Retired chemist grows vegetable seedlings for money
- 08/20/2018 "Compostable twine holds up well in the stress of hot summers"
- 08/09/2018 France: Vilmorin-Mikado acquires Danish seed company Advanseed