Job offersmore »
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop België / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- "We are now the only people producing the tubers hydroponically"
- Oxygen level in water: an underestimated factor in plant growth
- Bitcoin mining powers tomato greenhouse
- How the rise of Amazon will urge you to create a brand in fresh produce
- UV light provides novel method to improve crop performance and yield
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Australia: Cattle farmers turned successful hydroponics business ownersOverseas trips, golf, and fishing were all on the bucket list for Bob and Gayle Glogoski when they retired from beef farming.
“Cattle had been hard going for a few years and we just wanted time for us,” Gayle says. “After working seven days a week on the farm we needed a holiday.”
So in 2014 the couple moved from their property in South Gippsland’s Foster, an hour away to the sleepy seaside town of Corinella, venturing on their first overseas trip within a month and a month later jetting off on another trip.
“Then we got home and realised we were already bored,” Gayle says. “Living out of a suitcase wasn’t so much fun and fishing and playing golf every day was just not our thing.”
Bob began dabbling in his backyard shed with a hydroponic system and within a year the Glogoskis had embarked on an entirely new farming business, CHG Hydroponics.
“At 65 we’re either brave or stupid, we’re not sure which yet,” Gayle says, laughing.
Given the business’ quick success, brave and canny is the answer.
Read more at The Weekly Times (Sarah Hudson)
Publication date: 9/7/2017
Other news in this sector: