Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- One million square foot cannabis production facility to be built in Australia
- NatureFresh Farms develops unconventional pest management methods
- Rough introduces the HopsHouse: a single-solution hydroponic hops greenhouses
- Protected Cropping Australia appoints new board
- Dutch police raids greenhouses in heroin investigation
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Awards rain down on Leamington growers
Long known as the Tomato Capital of Canada, Leamington, Ontario once again hosted its annual Greenhouse Vegetable Awards this past weekend. Judges again tasted and examined over 200 entries submitted by leading North American growers. Many of them, again took home some prestigious awards during the 10th edition of this event. Here's a summary of the award shower.
The growers of NatureFresh scooped five awards this year
Family owned NatureFresh™ Farms took home many top honors including the coveted ‘Best Overall Tomato’ with their TOMZ® Red Cherry Tomato. Furthermore NatureFresh took top honors in following other categories:
- Best Bite Sized Tomatoes; TOMZ® Red Cherry Tomato
- Best Cocktail Tomato; TOMZ® Sweet Red Cocktail Tomato
- Best Beefsteak Tomato; OntarioRed™ Red Beefsteak Tomato
- Best Yellow Bell Pepper
The growers at SUNSET® won seven awards and secured the honor of the most award-winning contestant over the last ten years. Along with Most Awarded, SUNSET® took home top honors in six other categories, including: Specialty Tomato, Kids’ Choice Tomato, Specialty Bell Pepper, Red Bell Pepper, Kids’ Choice Cucumber, and best of all, the coveted People’s Choice Tomato.
Sunset's Milla Mastronardi accepting the most award-winning contestant prize. (Picture from Sunset on Twitter)
Also the team of Pure Flavor® was again awarded this year. The company was recognized for its Gourmet Baby Cucumber, Roma tomato, Aurora Sweet Long Peppers, English Cucumbers, Beefsteak tomato, and cluster on-the-vine tomato.
For the fourth year in a row, Pure Flavor® took home honours for its snacking cucumbers, which are also featured in their new Mini Munchies Vegetable Snacks for kids.
Orangeline Farms scooped some prizes this year with their Zing! Health Forward’s Amazing Sweet Peppers. These peppers were once again victorious in placing first in the Best Hothouse Specialty Long Pepper category. Next to this the growers won the first prize in the Best Hothouse Hot Pepper category with their Spicy Chef Sampler. This sampler also scooped the People’s Choice Award.
Orangeline Farms' Jordan and Steve again added they brought home more trophies this year.
TopLine Farms took home two coveted awards including ‘Best Cocktail Cucumber’ and ‘Best Overall Cucumber’.
The annual greenhouse competition is hosted by R.E.A.C.H. International, a locally funded charitable organization, with proceeds going toward the funding of schools and clinics in Uganda.
Other news in this sector: