Job offersmore »
- Export Sales Manager grapes and citrus
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Spain
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Italy
- eine/n Verkaufsleiter/in Europa
- Professional greenhouse grower - United States
- Sales Manager - Netherlands
- Sales Assistant - Netherlands
- Logistic Coordinator - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance (QA) Manager - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Japanese venture unveils plans for large scale semi-closed greenhouse
- "LED has potential to end use of pesticides in farming"
- US: MedMen's first investment fund raises more than $60 million
- Young entrepreneur serves Iranian niche market with DIY hydroponics
- What breeding innovations are up for tomatoes in the next decade?
Exchange ratesmore »
Different greenhouse systems can result in the same productionTwo Sweet Pepper crops grown in different greenhouses resulted in comparable results for production. In both greenhouse systems there was a significant saving of energy.
In 2016 Sweet Peppers were grown in the VenLow Energy greenhouse. At the same time, the same variety Maranello was grown in a compartment at the Delphy Improvement Centre at the same stem density and equal planting date. The two experiments showed that different greenhouse systems can result in the same production.
Difference and similarities
The VenLow Energy greenhouse has double glass panels in the roof and a moveable foil screen. The compartment in the Improvement Centre has single glass and double screens. It was expected that there would be differences in growth and production. Fruit set was surprisingly similar, with ups and lows in the same weeks. Also the fruit load was comparable. At the end of the cultivation period the plants in the Venlow Energy greenhouse were taller. The production was remarkable similar (35 kg/m2), while there were differences in diurnal temperature, relative humidity and CO2 level. Apparently there were stimulating and inhibitory effects of the climate balanced in the two greenhouses.
Reduced Net Radiation
The similarity of the two greenhouses has been a reduced net radiation during night time. At the IC by intensive use of the double screens and in the VenLow Energy greenhouse by the double glass panel and the foil. In both greenhouses climate was managed for optimal conditions according to the development of the crop. This two experiments showed that with different greenhouse systems it is possible to have the same result in production if the cultivation strategy is in accordance with crop development.
Source: Wageningen University & Research
Publication date: 5/8/2017
Other news in this sector: