Job offersmore »
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
- Growing specialist Helda Beans & Peppers - Africa or Mediterranean area
- Product Development and R&D Engineer (Greenhouse and Equipment) - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
- "In indoor ag, every project demands a unique approach"
- Hokkaido greenhouse to enable production in the "coldest city on earth"
- "Biochar boosts tropical but not temperate crop yields'
- Swedish project studies year-round cultivation of tasty strawberries with LEDs
- Spain: Greenhouse builder J.Huete expands into new premises
Top 5 - last week
- "Horticulture production in India has exploded"
- Young entrepreneur serves Iranian niche market with DIY hydroponics
- What are the start-up costs of a greenhouse business?
- US(AZ): Civic Farms to break ground on 20,000 sq. ft. vertical farm at Biosphere 2
- Australia: Learn how the deleafing robot can reduce labor cost
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Crop manager Jos Bregman:
"Jet 5 is our greenhouse cleansing agent of choice"
Breeders and propagators have strict company hygiene protocols. Propagator Plantenkwekerij Van der Lugt in Bleiswijk is no exception. Crop manager Jos Bregman: "We owe this to our customers and to our strategic partners. So in autumn we clean the company from top to bottom with Jet 5."
Jos Bregman: "Jet 5 is our greenhouse cleansing agent of choice. It has no aftereffects and it does not accelerate the aging of the screen fabric."
Van der Lugt specializes in the propagation of fruiting vegetable plants. After the winter peak around Christmas, they partly fill the vacant sections with large numbers of bedding plants from seed or cuttings. Bregman: "We do this at the request of fellow companies in ornamentals. They get busier when it becomes quieter in vegetable plants. It is great to help each other out in this way. The condition is of course that we can meet the wishes and requirements of our strategic partners and their customers."
One of these strategic partners is Florensis from Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht, which propagates more than 4,000 different cut flower and plant varieties from seed and cuttings. Manager Domestic Production Jan Arends: "The run-up to the spring is always very busy. We always fall short on help and space. So we outsource some of the work to plant breeders in the food horticultural sector in this period. This also happens in summer, when it's time for autumn-flowering plants like asters, primroses and autumn violets."
Arends calls Van der Lugt a highly valued partner. The company supplies stock material that meets the strictest health and hygiene requirements. "This is not only important for vegetable growers," he says. "We should also be able to trust that the supplied batches are completely healthy, meaning free of diseases, pests and harmful microorganisms. The hygiene protocols in vegetable breeding are among the strictest in horticulture."
Jet 5 is a fixed component in that protocol during the cleaning in early autumn, when the entire company is decontaminated. Bregman: "Before the start of the new vegetable season everything has to be spotless. This is accomplished taking several steps, partly with self-developed equipment."
Some tools, like this multiple head spraying mast, have been developed in-house.
The cleaning starts by clearing the condensation gutters and flushing the mesh of the ventilation windows. A special spraying mast with a swiveling head was developed for this. The third step is hosing down the deck and everything under it with a multiple head spraying mast. This is all done with clean water under high pressure. Finally, the entire greenhouse, including the floor and carts, are disinfected with Jet 5.
Bregman and his colleagues have been using Jet 5 for years. "For the interim cleaning of the cultivation floors and the water system we also disinfect with chlorine. To clean the greenhouse this cleansing agent is definitely better. It has no aftereffects and doesnít accelerate the aging of the screen fabric. We always apply it in a concentration of 2%. Then itís done its work in five minutes. With a 1% solution, the treated surface should remain wet for half an hour, which is not always possible."
For more information:
Postbus 1180 3600 BD Maarssen
Safariweg 55 3605 MA Maarssen
T +31(0)346 29 06 00
F +31(0)346 29 06 01
Publication date: 1/6/2017
Other news in this sector: