- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
- "Many suppliers can bring you coco, only a few can bring you a product consistent and uniform"
- How does a pepper travel from the farm to your plate?
- Growers in autonomous cucumber greenhouse are doing well
- "France and Belgium are positioning themselves on dual-use varieties"
- Newly discovered enzyme is 'firing pin' for plant immunity
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Current overview of production and prices in the EU tomato industry
Dutch tomato growers best producers, but receive lowest prices in the EU
We analyzed the current stats of tomato production and pricing within the EU, both for the fresh market and processing industry.
The data on the dashboard shows that the Italian tomato sector is currently still the biggest producer of tomatoes in the EU. Driven by processing tomatoes, the country's industry has seen an increase in production over the last 2 years and grew from 4,500,000 tonnes in 2014 to 6,500,000 tonnes in 2015. The year before that, the Spanish production, which is mostly fresh market, saw a big increase; from 3,800,000 tonnes in 2013, to almost 5,000,000 tonnes in 2014.
In regards to the total tomato production in the EU, the fresh market tomato industry has the most stable production; aside from some ups and downs, this market accounted for an average of 7,200,000 tonnes per year over the past decade.
Spain is still the largest fresh tomato producer in the EU with an estimated production of more than 2,000,000 tonnes per year. Italy is the second largest producer of fresh tomatoes with 1,000,000 tonnes per year, followed by the Netherlands with 900,000 tonnes in 2015. France and Greece both produced about 600,000 tonnes in 2015.
The market for processing tomatoes has been less stable over the past 10 years. While the EU produced about 9,000,000 tonnes in 2006, the production peaked to nearly 11,000,000 tonnes in 2009, followed by a sharp decrease towards 7,500,000 tonnes in 2013. Over the last couple of year the production again saw a steep increase with more than 10,000,000 tonnes produced in 2015 and 2016.
Looking at a map with the top world importers of tomatoes, it is remarkable to see that Germany is the second largest importer of tomatoes in the world, after the United States. In 2015, Germany imported tomatoes for a value of 1,2 billion USD and the United States for a value of 2 billion USD.
Furhermore the dashboards gives a good and up-to-date overview of current pricing up to two weeks ago. It is remarkable to see that of all countries, the Dutch growers received the lowest price for a kilo of tomatoes. In the same week that Spanish growers receive 1,04 for a kilo, the Dutch only receive 74 cents per kilo. In week 39, French growers received 82 cts per kilo and Italian growers 95 cts/kilo.
Click here for the complete EU Tomato Dashboard
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/21/2018 US: Forty-four States allowed households to apply online for SNAP benefits in 2016
- 09/21/2018 CAN (AB): Province announces changes to Green Certificate Program
- 09/21/2018 Mexico’s fruit and vegetable exports
- 09/21/2018 "Aquaponics can revitalize Connecticut’s economy"
- 09/21/2018 3rd China-ASEAN Agricultural Cooperation Forum held in Nanning
- 09/21/2018 HortiFresh to stimulate fruits and vegetables sector in West Africa
- 09/21/2018 "France and Belgium are positioning themselves on dual-use varieties"
- 09/20/2018 USDA awards CLEDA $294,286 farmers market grant
- 09/20/2018 Who is buying the most organic groceries?
- 09/20/2018 US (FL): Agriculture, natural resources and food industries grew 2007-2016
- 09/20/2018 $450k for agtech/foodtech companies through Radicle Global Pre-Seed Challenge
- 09/20/2018 Strong production leaves California lettuce market subdued
- 09/20/2018 Costa Rican government and unions willing to start a dialogue to end the strike
- 09/20/2018 "We will never be the cheapest producer in the world"
- 09/20/2018 China's annual output of peppers is 40 million tons
- 09/19/2018 "Vertical farming in the Netherlands not an addition"
- 09/19/2018 US: California agriculture leads nation in funding for specialty crops
- 09/19/2018 Lower pepper exports for Spain
- 09/19/2018 UK: LEAF welcomes launch of new Agriculture Bill
- 09/19/2018 Queensland strawberry industry calls for calm in wake of tampering issue