Job offersmore »
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Warsaw University of Life Sciences:
Consumers prefer cukes grown with LEDs over cukes grown under HIDThe Department of Vegetables and Medicinal Plants is a leading academic knowledge center that focuses on testing environmentally-friendly and ecologically responsible methods for producing vegetables, fruits, and medicinal raw materials.
Philips and the Warsaw University of Life Sciences wanted to see if it was possible to get high yields of good quality cucumbers using only LED lighting. They also wanted to investigate the efficiency of using LED interlighting on crops.
The University set up three separate growing compartments for cucumbers. They all applied the same growth light levels, each provided by different lighting technologies.
This trial proved that growing under 100% LED is the most cost-effective way to produce cucumbers in late autumn and early spring. With the LEDs, energy costs were down by 60%. In the 100% LED treatment compartment, there were much lower rates of fruit abortion and individual fruits were significantly heavier. The fruits grown under 100% LED looked much the same as under HIDs but consumers preferred their taste.
For more information
Philips Horticulture LED Solutions
Global MarCom Manager
High Tech Campus 45, Eindhoven
HTC 45, Ground Floor, PO Box 80020, 5600JM Eindhoven
T: +31 6 31 65 29 69
Publication date: 11/16/2015
Other news in this sector: