Job offersmore »
- Facilities Manager - Concord, NH, USA
- General Manager - Saudi Arabia
- Plant Production Manager - Plock, Central Poland
- Production Manager / Grower - USA (west coast)
- Grower - Ontario, Canada
- Regional Research Manager - Southern Region, USA
- Export Area Manager - Barcelona, Spain
- Distributors and sales representatives
- Farm Manager in Nanyuki/Timau , Kenya
- Greenhouse Lighting Sales Manager, LED Lighting - North America
Last commentsmore »
- Technology converts organic wastes into organic fertilizer in just one day (13)
- Turkish breeder Yüksel introduces hybrid greenhouse varieties worldwide (3)
- New protocol for CGMMV available soon (1)
- US: Illumitex LEDs for Nevada indoor grower (1)
- Hoogstraten and BelOrta promote Flandria peppers in France (1)
- New beit alpha cucumber varieties available to Indian greenhouse growers (1)
- "Success of marijuana industry depends on the input from commercial vegetable growers" (1)
- Dutch support for small and medium sized vegetable growers in Kenya (1)
- UK: Shopper finds dead frog squished on her Lidl cucumber (1)
- Lab testing of India's potatoes, green chillies for export mandatory (1)
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
India: Israeli greenhouse techniques brings exotic veggies within reach for Indian farmersIn a first of its kind venture, greenhouses set up by a progressive farmer in Dabhoi and Savli blocks have brought exotic vegetables like red and yellow capsicums within easy reach of local farmers, who can now start thinking of moving beyond the traditional crops.
Progressive farmer, Ashwin Patel, who is an engineer by education and proprietor of a placement agency in Dabhoi, has set up a greenhouse, which, the agriculture experts in the district hope, would be emulated by other farmers of the region, who aspire to shift to more lucrative and progressive form of farming.
District horticulture officer Jaimin Patel said, Ashwin has set up five greenhouses - three in Dabhoi and two in Savli - to grow red and yellow peppers which find immediate takers in either five star hotels or high-end retail chains in big cities. "The farmers have to make the initial investment, though the government also offers subsidies on greenhouses set up on one acre farms," Patel said. Patel imported the greenhouses and their machinery from Israel.
The fully automated setup of a greenhouse looks like a mini industry with machines regulating the temperature, moisture, irrigation and fertilizer inputs, explains Jaimin adding the Dabhoi's three greenhouses are also providing employment to 25 people.
Ashwin's father, Hansmukh Patel who has been growing traditional crops like tuar, cotton and corn said he was thrilled with the results of the greenhouse farming set up by his son. "We are also continuing with traditional cultivation, as of now," the statement quoted him as saying.
Publication date: 4/2/2013
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.