Job offersmore »
- Experienced Grower - Leamington, ON, Canada
- Customer oriented Technical representative - North America
- Hydroponic Greenhouse Grower - Leamington, Ontario
- Research Manager - France
- Chief Operation Manager - China
- Territory Sales Representative - United States
- International Sales & Marketing Executive
- Head of Procurement and Supply Chain - UK
- Product Manager Substrates
- International Account Manager
Last commentsmore »
- Canada: "Nobody wants to take the risk with unwashed bags" (1)
- US: Fred C. Gloeckner Foundation awards 15 grants (1)
- Uganda: Greenhouse gives veg grower better yields, more cash (9)
- WUR trial achieves 89.1 kilo of Komeett tomatoes per square meter (35)
- US (VA): Region’s agribusiness harnesses technology (1)
- New patterned sticky trap catches double amount of whitefly (1)
- Turkish greenhouse growers go bananas! (1)
- Growtainer: high tech production facility housed in a 40' shipping container (1)
- Mexican grower Floraplant acquires two Ellepot machines (1)
- What to ask in your search for the best LED grow lights (1)
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Grower William Kwezi sells car to build his own greenhouse
Uganda: Greenhouse gives veg grower better yields, more cashWilliam Kwezi lives in Gayaza, Wakiso District. He has been doing a lot of farming for the last 15 years but four years ago, he decided to start using greenhouses. He now grows horticultural crops including tomatoes, sweet pepper and cucumber. "In open-field cultivation, weather imbalances have a huge impact on productivity," he said. "You cannot be sure of how much you will harvest. Sometimes, there is a lot of sunshine, and sometimes a lot of rain. These changes can result in huge crop losses. But with greenhouses, everything is controlled. I control the temperatures, the water supply, and everything else. I know what to expect from my greenhouse."
Using local materials for greenhouses"I build the greenhouses myself using local materials. Where some people use metal for poles, I use eucalyptus. I have also been building greenhouses for other farmers."
"The only materials I buy from the shop are the sheets, which come in a kit. The kit covers an area of 160 square metres; this is a greenhouse of 20 by 8 metres. This kit costs about Shs2.2m at Nsanja Agrochemicals Ltd. I employ 10 people. These include plumbers, carpenters and casual labourers. It costs me about Shs 700,000 in labour to put up one greenhouse."
Challenges in greenhouse farming"The challenges we face with greenhouses include wind, which can blow them down, and capital. You need at least Shs6.5m to build a greenhouse and have it stocked with crops. And you still have to spend more money on fertilizers and pesticides. We spray pesticides every week to kill pests while for weeds, we suppress their growth.
When I was starting, I sold my car and added on my savings to raise Shs6.2m to complete my first greenhouse. The other thing is that if one does not have enough knowledge about greenhouse farming, they will find challenges. You have to manage it very well, control temperatures, irrigation and so on.
Options for those with little capital
Those with less money have the option of using net-sheds or open-drip irrigation to practice at least some organized farming. This will give them better yields than the usual practice of solely depending on rainfall. A net-shed, for example, shields crops from direct sunshine.
Mid-day sunshine can be so rough. It makes the crops lose a lot of water. The shed reduces the sunshine reaching the crop by 35 per cent. You can also employ drip-lane irrigation in a net shed. To set up a net-shed, you use 40 per cent less the cost of a greenhouse. This is affordable for many farmers.
Click here for the complete article at monitor.co.ug
Publication date: 3/28/2013
Other news in this sector:
Can't I use timber to construct a green house
Naamara Calorine , Kampala , Uganda - 8/27/2015 12:15:42 PM
I would like you help construct a green house, please give me a quote.
my farm is Luwero, all transport expenses for consultation will be refunded.
aida Ndahura , LUWERO , Uganda - 4/10/2015 5:10:48 PM
impressed I would like to visit your farm
baker , kampala, uganda (email) - 3/8/2015 9:08:08 AM
I would like to construct a greenhouse structure at my farm in Mukono
Sarah Ibanda, Kampala, Uganda - 1/27/2015 8:08:16 AM
I would like to learn more about green house farming. Please share contact information... Telephone number or email address of William Kwezi.
Maximilia Byenkya, Kampala, Uganda - 1/25/2015 2:16:33 PM
I am interested in doing my city Juba South Sudan. Kindly quotes for starting materials
Benjamin Lem, Juba, South Sudan - 12/19/2014 1:59:58 PM
i would like to visit your farm such that i learn more
Ivan, kampala, uganda - 11/19/2014 11:28:30 AM
Please share with me William Kwezi's email ad phone number sothat I can visit his farm. Thanks Brenda
Brenda, Kampala, Uganda - 4/11/2013 3:14:45 PM
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.