- Looking for an opportunity in India
- Procurement & Sales Manager, Potato Division - Lobinstown, Co. Meath, Ireland
- European regional agent and new sales manager
- Head Grower - Owatonna (Minnesota) USA
- Teeltspecialist (Proeftuin & Veredeling) - Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht, Netherlands
- Farm Manager - Riana, Tasmania, Australia
- Industry Development Manager - Rocklea, Australia
- Commercial Manager | Huelva, Spain | Soft Fruits
- Farm manager / Senior grower seeking for his next role
- Fruit Export Junior Sales Manager (Europe Division)
Top 5 -yesterday
- Houweling’s Tomatoes wins Ultra-Clima greenhouse court cases and is awarded first sub-licence
- "A few weeks ago, we couldn't have imagined this situation"
- Canadian grower quarantines workers to remain ahead of the curve
- Greenhouse research to help in development of coronavirus vaccine
- “Personal advice is a standard”
Top 5 -last week
- 'Blueberry used to be an extensive crop, but is becoming more and more intensive"
- Cooling a soilless growing facility even in extreme climates
- Corona-update: OECD says global economy will suffer for years to come
- Spain: Almeria buckles under virus pressure
- “It’s not the growers filling their boots at the moment”
Top 5 -last month
Head Grower - Owatonna (Minnesota) USA
Owatonna, Minnesota - Full Time
Bushel Boy Farms is a high-tech year-round producer of the highest quality greenhouse grown tomatoes based in Owatonna MN. We are planning for significant growth in terms of our acreage and facilities, and we need an expert Head Grower to lead our tomato program. If you are looking for an opportunity to combine your passion for horticulture, your expertise in leading operations at a premier greenhouse operator and being part of the executive leadership team that is shaping our future, this is the role for you.
Bushel Boy Farms, a year-round grower of fresh, vine-ripened tomatoes is seeking a Head Grower for its Owatonna MN operations, as well as supporting a new greenhouse operation currently under construction in Mason City, Iowa. Bushel Boy’s parent company, Rahr Corporation, is a family-owned global leader in the production and distribution of barley malt and related brewing supplies in operation since 1847. This position reports to Bushel Boy’s President and is based in the Owatonna, Minnesota location. The successful candidate will have full responsibility for cultivating and harvesting horticultural specialties primarily focused on tomatoes. They will also lead a team of direct reports in functional areas like the growing operations, packinghouse, facility maintenance, food safety, and integrated pest management. Bushel Boy takes pride in ensuring a high-quality tomato product and has established itself as a premier brand in the marketplace. The Head Grower will provide effective leadership for a greenhouse team of approximately 100 plus employees and create an engaging work environment that ensures employees are valued and recognized.
PRINCIPAL ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Partner with leadership to anticipate product needs and successfully grow crop to realize and/or exceed production goals.
- Ensure product quality consistently meets the established specifications.
- Balance production and associated sales revenue with control of costs, leading to business unit earnings in line with expectations established by executive management.
- Ensure effective climate control including temperature, ventilation, humidity, and irrigation to provide optimum growing conditions to maximize quality and yield.
- Lead an integrated pest management (IPM) program to monitor conditions, identify concerns, and implement solutions to correct.
- Create seasonal staffing plans to ensure adequate staffing to meet productivity requirements.
- Ensure proper training and certification in place for all greenhouse employees.
- Develop and implement an effective preventive maintenance and repair program for greenhouse and equipment. Ensure process for repair and replacement in a timely manner.
- Oversee pack house operations to ensure a smooth operation and consistent quality.
- Maintain a clean and well-organized environment to meet requirements for a food production facility.
- Ensure compliance and record keeping in accordance with guidelines required to maintain Food Safety Certification.
- Utilize technology to maximize efficiency, process, and reduce labor costs.
- Apply continuous learning (CI) to improve quality and processes.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Experience with greenhouse hydroponics.
- Proven leadership skills; experience leading a team of mid-level management direct reports.
- Knowledge of horticulture, greenhouse environment, and growing operations. Experience in growing tomatoes highly desired but not required.
- Knowledge of pesticides, insecticides, fertilizers, and watering and planning procedures.
- Knowledge of integrated pest management (IPM) operations and licensed in application.
- Business acumen.
- Demonstrated skill and proficiency with Windows-based computer applications and other industry-related software, and office and plant equipment.
- Excellent conceptual thinking skills and ability to identify and analyze complex and sensitive issues.
- Uses independent judgment to make decisions, and to recommend and/or implement solutions.
- Ability to listen and communicate clearly, fluently and diplomatically, orally and in writing in the English language. Spanish language skills highly desired.
- Ability to maintain excellent interpersonal and cooperative relationships while participating in sectional and cross-functional groups and teams involving management, staff, and clients.
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, and accurately follow through on work activities with time constraints and interruptions to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrates a high level of integrity and confidentiality.
- Ability to work effectively and respectfully with staff, managers, executives, and others to garner cooperation and maintain service excellence.
- Ability to effectively balance multiple projects and workload, in a continuously changing environment.
- Ability to generate goodwill for the organization and its management among staff, clients, suppliers, referral sources, regulatory bodies, the general community
- Ability to meet the physical and cognitive requirements of the essential job functions.
MINIMUM EDUCATION & WORK REQUIREMENTS:
- A bachelor’s degree in horticulture or related field (or equivalent professional experience).
- History of progressive work experience in a greenhouse or related industry
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with applicable laws.
- Regularly required to stand and walk.
- Frequently required to reach with hands and arms, climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk, hear, taste, and smell.
- Occasionally required to use hands or fingers to handle or feel.
- Must frequently lift and/or move up to 40 lbs.
- Can be exposed to extreme heat and humidity in temperatures up to 100°F or 38° C.
Bushel Boy Farms is a subsidiary of Rahr Corporation, a privately held, family-owned company established in 1847 and headquartered in Shakopee, MN. Bushel Boy Farms was founded in Owatonna, Minnesota in 1990 with a simple desire to grow fresh, vine-ripened, great tasting tomatoes year-round. Our expert team has created a perfect growing environment, combining the latest in greenhouse design and technology with the hands-on TLC it takes to produce the sweetest, juiciest tomatoes. Bushel Boy Farms is expanding to a second location in Mason City, Iowa opening in late-2020.
For more information on Bushel Boy Farms visit our website at bushelboy.com