- Salesperson - Beamsville (ON) Canada
- Chief Executive Officer - Tropical North Queensland (Tully) Australia
- Head Grower in USA
- Commercial Manager | Cut Flowers - Kenya
- Market Access & Quality Systems Manager | Fruit - Bologna, Italy
- Business Development Manager - Madrid, Spain
- Commercial Manager - Amsterdam / Europe
- Regional Sales Representative/Manager - Southwest Region (USA)
- Fruit Export Junior Sales Manager (Europe Division)
- Agricultural Tech EU Sales Representative - London, UK
Top 5 -yesterday
- How television helped develop the Polish industry from potatoes to microgreens
- "We sold over 100 hectares of toplighting compact grow lights in the first year alone"
- "Proper use and control of NOx in greenhouse can increase yield"
- Akebi; the purple exotic fruit that smells like chocolate
- Controlling basil downy mildew in the greenhouse
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- Ground coupled heat pump system to heat, cool and dehumidify greenhouses
- 2019 in horticulture: LEDs, ToBRFV, soft fruit, vertical farming and hydroponics
- Hydroponic soft fruit cultivation keeps on growing
- Solar panels could take greenhouses off the grid
- "Without proper pollination, all greenhouse techniques are reduced to nothing"
Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
Location: Morehead, KY
We are building large-scale high-tech greenhouses in Appalachia with a goal to make the region the AgTech capital of America. Our cutting-edge sustainable technology includes a hybrid lighting system with $15 million in Philips GreenPower LEDs, as well as a water system using only rainwater that is collected in a 10-acre on-site retention pond.
By doing it all from Appalachia, we are helping to build a resilient economy in an area ravaged by the collapse of the coal industry. By farming here, we're creating hundreds of jobs for the hard-working men and women in a region that long powered America.
Our mission has garnered attention the world over with coverage from the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, 60 Minutes, Forbes and CNBC. Within just 15 months, we raised more than $100 million for our first greenhouse, which will span 60 acres and open in 2020 in Morehead, Ky. Investors include Rise of the Rest, which is managed by AOL Co-Founder Steve Case and best-selling author J.D. Vance; ValueAct Capital's ValueAct Spring Fund, led by activist investor Jeff Ubben; and Equilibrium, which created the first fund for controlled-environment agriculture.
About the Role:
As a Grower, you will assist with the management of growing operations for AppHarvest’s 60-acre hydroponic controlled-environment agriculture facility.
What You’ll Do:
- Assist in all aspects of the production process, including integrated pest management, climate management, crop maintenance, and labor planning and scheduling.
- Assist in managing greenhouse climate control systems.
- Assist in crop inspections, removing substandard or diseased plants to maintain quality standards.
- Maintain current knowledge of growing techniques and technologies.
- Monitor the working environment to ensure compliance with company and statutory hygiene, health and safety standards, as well as policies and procedures.
- Report food safety and quality problems to authorized personnel.
- Ensure all Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), standard operating procedures (SOPs), and policies are followed.
- Climate management including daily and weekly plans/actions.
- Determine and monitor climate control system settings using Priva software for heating, venting, watering, and lighting.
- Oversee crop nutrition, including weekly and longer-term nutrition strategies for all stages of the crop cycle.
- Direct pest and disease management, including recommending and implementing weekly and long-term control strategies, incorporating integrated pest management (IPM).
- Manage water resources, including daily and weekly plans/actions, as well as operational troubleshooting of water systems and equipment.
- Monitor labor management and performance in conjunction with Growers and Supervisors.
- Lead and participate in projects to improve quality, safety, performance, and yield.
- Ensure adherence to safety, quality, and hygiene key performance indicators (KPIs), as well as policies and procedures.
- Other core expectations as defined by the company.
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in horticulture or related field or between two and five years of controlled-environment agriculture industry work experience.
- Experience with fertilizers, chemicals, and water, including calculation of amounts, proportions, percentages, and volume for application.
- Knowledge of major plant groups and their culture and growth traits.
- Knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), health and safety, food safety, Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP), and the PrimusGFS program.
- Identification of plant diseases and the existence of insects.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills to train team members and interact with all levels of the organization.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with Priva software preferred.
Our Core Values:
- Grit and Tenacity. You embrace challenges with courage and resolve. Your strength of character and work ethic define you.
- Passion and Dedication to Sustainability. You constantly strive for excellence as you drive positive environmental change in the agriculture industry and seek to improve lives in the community.
- Proactive and Entrepreneurial. You embody a “we can figure it out” mentality and challenge any notion that “this can’t be done.” You’re not afraid to tackle big problems through rapid experimentation to create long-term impact.
- Radical Transparency and Trust. You operate openly and honestly, taking full responsibility for your actions.
- Collaborative and Inspiring Leadership. You seek opportunities to strengthen team culture and work more effectively. You constantly challenge and inspire your fellow team members.
- Hours are determined by the needs of a controlled-environment agriculture system.
- Conditions typically found in a greenhouse with high humidity and varying temperatures (50 degrees Fahrenheit to 99 degrees Fahrenheit) and background noise approaching 70 decibels.
- Must have manual dexterity to perform computer skills and operate equipment.
- Visual and audio sensory are needed regularly.
- Exerting force of up to 50 lbs. occasionally, 20 lbs. frequently, and 10 lbs. constantly as part of lifting and moving product and equipment.
- Bending, stretching, twisting, crouching, grasping, reaching, and lifting above shoulders.
- Standing, sitting, and walking for prolonged periods of time may be required.
Occasional local day travel may be necessary.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- People-oriented culture
AppHarvest Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.