- Salesperson - Beamsville (ON) Canada
- Chief Executive Officer - Tropical North Queensland (Tully) Australia
- Head Grower in USA
- Commercial Manager | Cut Flowers - Kenya
- Market Access & Quality Systems Manager | Fruit - Bologna, Italy
- Business Development Manager - Madrid, Spain
- Commercial Manager - Amsterdam / Europe
- Regional Sales Representative/Manager - Southwest Region (USA)
- Fruit Export Junior Sales Manager (Europe Division)
- Agricultural Tech EU Sales Representative - London, UK
Top 5 -yesterday
- How television helped develop the Polish industry from potatoes to microgreens
- "We sold over 100 hectares of toplighting compact grow lights in the first year alone"
- "Proper use and control of NOx in greenhouse can increase yield"
- Akebi; the purple exotic fruit that smells like chocolate
- Controlling basil downy mildew in the greenhouse
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- Ground coupled heat pump system to heat, cool and dehumidify greenhouses
- 2019 in horticulture: LEDs, ToBRFV, soft fruit, vertical farming and hydroponics
- Hydroponic soft fruit cultivation keeps on growing
- Solar panels could take greenhouses off the grid
- "Without proper pollination, all greenhouse techniques are reduced to nothing"
General Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
Position: General Manager
Location: Morehead, KY
AppHarvest is building large-scale high-tech greenhouses in Appalachia with a goal to make the region the AgTech capital of America. Our cutting-edge sustainable technology includes a hybrid lighting system with $15 million in Philips GreenPower LEDs, as well as a water system using only rainwater that is collected in a 10-acre on-site retention pond.
By doing it all from Appalachia, we are helping to build a resilient economy in an area ravaged by the collapse of the coal industry. By farming here, we're creating hundreds of jobs for the hard-working men and women in a region that long powered America.
Our mission has garnered attention the world over with coverage from the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, 60 Minutes, Forbes and CNBC. Within just 15 months, we raised more than $100 million for our first greenhouse, which will span 60 acres and open in 2020 in Morehead, Ky. Investors include Rise of the Rest, which is managed by AOL Co-Founder Steve Case and best-selling author J.D. Vance; ValueAct Capital's ValueAct Spring Fund, led by activist investor Jeff Ubben; and Equilibrium, which created the first fund for controlled-environment agriculture.
About the Role:
As the General Manager, you will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of AppHarvest’s 60-acre hydroponic controlled-environment agriculture facility.
What You’ll Do:
- Oversee daily operations of the facility, including production, quality control, planning, plant performance reporting, labor management, facility maintenance, and balancing inputs, throughput, and demand.
- Maximize revenue by managing operating expenses and optimizing systems.
- Prepare budget and monitor financial statements.
- Support programs to maintain safe working conditions and food safety compliance.
- Continuously stay educated of industry technology trends to ensure AppHarvest always remains a trail-blazer in controlled-environment agriculture.
- Meet regularly with leadership for progress reports, planning, and conflict resolution.
- Prepare key performance indicator reports for management, including food safety, quality, and yield.
- Collaborate with human resources department on labor management to meet staffing needs and needs of current employees.
- Develop growing schedule and forecast yield targets.
- Work with Head Grower and distribution partners to develop and execute produce growth strategies.
- Other core expectations as defined by the company.
- Degree in chemistry, horticulture, or agriculture or equivalent experience.
- Minimum three years of experience in horticulture.
- Five to ten years of management experience.
- Knowledge of horticultural pests and disease identification is a plus.
- Advanced degree in chemistry, horticulture, or agriculture is a plus.
- Previous experience in greenhouse management is mandatory.
Our Core Values:
- Grit and Tenacity. You embrace challenges with courage and resolve. Your strength of character and work ethic define you.
- Passion and Dedication to Sustainability. You constantly strive for excellence as you drive positive environmental change in the agriculture industry and seek to improve lives in the community.
- Proactive and Entrepreneurial. You embody a “we can figure it out” mentality and challenge any notion that “this can’t be done.” You’re not afraid to tackle big problems through rapid experimentation to create long-term impact.
- Radical Transparency and Trust. You operate openly and honestly, taking full responsibility for your actions.
- Collaborative and Inspiring Leadership. You seek opportunities to strengthen team culture and work more effectively. You constantly challenge and inspire your fellow team members.
- Hours are determined by the needs of a controlled-environment agriculture system.
- Conditions typically found in a greenhouse with high humidity and varying temperatures (50oF to 99oF) and background noise approaching 70 decibels.
- Must have manual dexterity to perform computer skills and operate equipment.
- Visual and audio sensory are needed regularly.
- Exerting force of up to 50 lbs. occasionally, 20 lbs. frequently, and 10 lbs. constantly as part of lifting and moving product and equipment.
- Bending, stretching, twisting, crouching, grasping, reaching, and lifting above shoulders.
- Standing, sitting, and walking for prolonged periods of time may be required.
Occasional local day travel may be necessary.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- People-oriented culture
AppHarvest, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.