Top 5 -yesterday
- "For fruit to be on the water for 51 days and still be sold as a premium product is unheard of"
- New dates for GreenTech Americas: 24–26 August 2021
- Australia: Victoria lockdown came in the middle of replanting season
- "Perfectly good graded and packed fresh produce is being dumped"
- Hydroponic pepper farm expands in India
Top 5 -last week
- "We store CO2 from the outside air to make plants grow faster"
- Study on hydroponic lettuce production in hydroponic vertical farm
- Sundrop Farms uses solar to grow tomatoes in the Australian desert
- "Mini-Air soft fruit tunnel gave us maximum control over growing climate"
- "Pollination robots address bottlenecks in tomato crop"
Top 5 -last month
- Two Tanzanians take ‘smart’ hydroponics closer to homes
- High-tech greenhouse grows tomatoes with super-low CO2 emission
- South Africa: How an innovative smaller supplier helped to keep tomatoes on Shoprite shelves
- Strawberries from hydroponic greenhouses in Turkey exported to all over the world
- Scientists discover how to alter colour and ripening rates of tomatoes
Production Manager - Dubai, UAE
Job Title - Production Manager
Location - Dubai, UAE
Job type - Full-time
Emirates Flight Catering Company (“EKFC”) has collaborated with Crop One Holdings Inc to build the world’s largest Controlled Environment Agriculture Facility in the Middle East under the registered name of Emirates Crop One (ECO 1).
At ECO1 we have a vision for a world where healthy food is accessible to everyone. With a mission of cultivating a sustainable future to meet a global demand for fresh, local and safe food. Through our Plants First™ approach, we are building a scalable, global model to bring consistent, safe, high quality, year-round produce to previously ungrowable environments. Using over 95% less water and land than conventional agriculture and locating Products in close proximity to the point of consumption, ECO 1 Products will put less resource strain on the environment. And when combined, these benefits mean lower costs and increased yields - a win for investors, consumers, partners, and, more importantly - the planet.
ECO 1 has an opening for a Production Manager in Dubai who will lead multiple aspects of production and staff operations. The Production Manager will oversee all aspects of plant production including sowing, harvesting, packing and associated tasks. The candidate must demonstrate a key passion for agriculture and hydroponics and must be able to manage and coordinate subordinates. They must be a self-starter, team player, proficient in detail-oriented work and work well as a team in a fast-changing environment.
This position will be responsible for Product Quality, Yields, HACCP, and Food Safety, among other areas. Successful candidates will have experience in plant biology and background in some aspect of working within, preferably overseeing an operational farming process.
● Oversee production leads, porters, crew members, and other employees in a variety of daily plant production tasks, including but not limited to:
○ Proper handling, storage and germination of seeds
○ Precise transplantation and care of plantlets
○ Efficient harvesting and sorting of produce using appropriate techniques and tools
○ Thorough disinfection of the growth units in preparation for the next growth cycle
○ Routine inventory checks on all production equipment, materials, tools and advance ordering of all items
○ Correct nutrient balancing and management of the hydroponics system
○ Water quality testing on regular basis(including pH, temperature and other critical parameters)
○ Ensuring seeds, nutrients, and other supplies are regularly restocked
● Liaise with other management to ensure correct operational tasks are followed including but not limited to:
○ Proper cleaning and sanitization of all production tools and equipment including: hydroponic float boards, nutrient tanks, plantlet trays, produce bins, harvesting tools, etc.
○ Accurate packing of only high-quality produce with proper packaging and labeling per customer requirements
○ Regular maintenance, cleaning and testing of infrastructure, equipment and tools in compliance with safety standards
○ Scheduling repairs, maintenance, and replacement of equipment and machinery.
○ Assessment of product for quality assurance and quality control throughout all areas of production
○ Monitoring of the Product data software system for accurate data entry, analysis and employee assessment
○ Ensure proper number of people are scheduled for daily tasks
○ Manage employee performance, engagement and motivation
● Responsible to ensure that all employees are trained and monitored on the company’s food and safety procedures including but not limited to the following:
○ Follow Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s), Good Agricultural Practices (GAP’s), company food safety policies, and sanitation standard operating procedures (SSOP’s).
○ Assists in the Generation of proper documentation and reporting in compliance with Safe Quality Food (SQF), Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Points (HACCP), Kosher Certification and any future certifications that the company pursues
○ Prepares plans and schedules for planting, harvesting, and effective communication so that staff understands expectations.
○ Ensure the correct execution of all Product standard operating procedures (SOP’s) and policies at all times
○ Ensure proper traceability, documentation and record keeping of all plant processes in compliance with certifications
○ Conduct routine Product safety trainings to ensure proper use of infrastructure, equipment, tools, evacuation plans, etc.
○ Assess new hires regularly to ensure proper execution of standard operating procedures and Product policies
○ Daily cleaning and sanitizing of the entire facility to prevent cross-contamination
○ Observe colleagues and address any inefficient or unsafe work procedures immediately
○ Identify problems and initiate corrective actions as necessary
○ Develop production schedules by cultivar forecasts
● Help to develop SOP’s, improve efficiencies in production flow and processes and scheduling including but not limited to the following:
○ Ensure strict compliance with production schedule so that all processes run smoothly and plant development is not inhibited.
○ Orchestrate the flow of employee tasks on a daily level to ensure an efficient use of all employees’ time
○ Report on operational KPIs and create improvement plans
○ Coordinate and maintain great communication with colleagues to ensure best practices and assessment of quality of work
○ Assist with contribution and coordination of new corporate projects using attained knowledge of production efficiencies and optimization of plant growth and development
○ Collaborating with senior staff to prepare budgets and financial reports
○ Suggesting marketing strategies to better promote products
• Preference for a degree qualification. Bachelor of Science degree in a biological science, preferably plant science, agronomy or a related field is preferred.
• Additional courses in Business Management or Administration will be an added advantage
• Minimum of 8 to 10 years of experience in manufacturing production
• Experience of planning manufacturing/production from forecasting with other departments
• Strong working knowledge of the management of a farm operation and food production is preferred. Experience with hydroponic growing is a plus.
• This role will require international travel
• Willing and able to perform a wide variety of hands-on tasks when needed
• Ability to lead the development of an efficient and cohesive group through ongoing review, training and re-training of production staff and crew members
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
• Ability to build and maintain positive working relationships both internally and externally
• Ability to work well under minimal supervision with willingness to take direction as needed
• Strong problem-solving skills and creative thinking and ability to make well informed decisions about operations
• Strong written & verbal communication skills, in English; Must be able to read, write, understand, and converse well in English
• Must be able to comfortably execute a variety of physically demanding and sometimes-repetitive tasks including lifting and moving objects up to 15KGs as necessary, standing on ladders, leaning down into low spaces, reaching into tight areas, etc.
• Team player with a positive attitude and ability to hit the ground running
• Familiarity with basic software: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Google suite, Asana, or other management software and experience with other task tracker software preferred
• Experience and understanding of quality, food and hazard safety certifications and compliance including GAP, SQF HACCP, etc. is preferred
• Experience of managing budgets
• Warehousing and manufacturing experience is a plus
• Having pride in your work, a passion for what you do and a positive attitude while taking on difficult tasks is a plus
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, or skills required of personnel so classified.
Job reference CRO108