Top 5 -yesterday
- "For fruit to be on the water for 51 days and still be sold as a premium product is unheard of"
- New dates for GreenTech Americas: 24–26 August 2021
- Australia: Victoria lockdown came in the middle of replanting season
- "Perfectly good graded and packed fresh produce is being dumped"
- Hydroponic pepper farm expands in India
Top 5 -last week
- "We store CO2 from the outside air to make plants grow faster"
- Study on hydroponic lettuce production in hydroponic vertical farm
- Sundrop Farms uses solar to grow tomatoes in the Australian desert
- "Mini-Air soft fruit tunnel gave us maximum control over growing climate"
- "Pollination robots address bottlenecks in tomato crop"
Top 5 -last month
- Two Tanzanians take ‘smart’ hydroponics closer to homes
- High-tech greenhouse grows tomatoes with super-low CO2 emission
- South Africa: How an innovative smaller supplier helped to keep tomatoes on Shoprite shelves
- Strawberries from hydroponic greenhouses in Turkey exported to all over the world
- Scientists discover how to alter colour and ripening rates of tomatoes
Seeds of change grant to help farmers face climate challenges
Farmers around the world face unique challenges in their effort to provide abundant, safe, and flavorful food. One often overlooked issue for farmers is climate change. “The environment has a huge impact on plant health and reproduction,” said Alfred Huo, UF/IFAS assistant professor of plant breeding.…
US: Addressing resistance-breaking strain of tomato spotted wilt virus
The tomato industry is continuing to look for a solution to address the issues created by the resistance-breaking strain of tomato spotted wilt virus. The SW5 gene had been a significant breakthrough for the industry. Producers quickly adopted new cultivars with the gene that was shown to be resistant to…
Study on the use of intellectual property systems in plant breeding
Breeding innovations are relevant for sustainable agricultural development and food security, as new, resilient production systems require crop varieties optimally suited for these systems. In the societal debate around genetic engineering and other plant breeding innovations, ownership of patents on the…
Automatic germination test provides insight into tomato seed quality
How many healthy tomato plants will a seed lot yield? Researchers from Agro Food Robotics at Wageningen University & Research have developed an automatic germination test that gives seed breeders and growers quick and objective answers to this question, saving cost and increasing efficiency. Growers like…
The best strawberries to grow in hot locations
It's strawberry season in many parts of the U.S, and supermarkets are teeming with these fresh heart-shaped treats. Although the bright red, juicy fruit can grow almost…
Three insights from the table talk about data-driven growing
"Historical data can help for future decision-making"
Why is it important to have a connecting party when you are collecting data as a grower? And can you collect too much data? Just two of the many topics that were discussed during the table talk of TechnoHouse online tour hosted by Rijk Zwaan. Three experts joined a discussion about data-driven growing.…
Free covered crop energy webinars
The Bioenergy Association and Energy Efficiency & Conservation Authority (EECA) are hosting three webinars for covered crop growers. The webinars will provide growers with…
Julie Caignon, VOLTZ Maraîchage:
“We have great ambitions for all European countries”
Earlier this year, Graines VOLTZ, a distributor, developer and breeder of vegetable and flower varieties, divided its activities into two commercial structures: VOLTZ Maraîchage for food production and VOLTZ Horticulture for home and city gardens. The two entities supply seeds and plants to professionals.…
Special Breeding at HortiDaily this month
A new month has started, which means a new special. In June our special will be focused on breeding. Breeding is an ongoing industry which is continuously developing. Resistances are an important subject in horticulture, especially with viruses like ToBRFV. The Pure Flavor RedRoyals Cherry Tomatoes on…