Cassibba Maurizio farm in Scoglitti (RG), Sicily

"It is still possible to successfully grow large berry tomatoes"

Keeping up with the times, that is, meeting market demands, is necessary to be competitive in agriculture. However, this does not mean improvisation or petty innovation but rather being authentically specialized. This is the case with the Cassibba Farm in Scoglitti (RG), Sicily, which has been in the tomato sector since 1990, thanks to a career-long process of refining its skills over time aimed at the production of large-caliber tomatoes.

Salvatore Cassibba holds up a Kamarina-branded crate

The company started out with one hectare of wooden greenhouses more than 30 years ago and now has more than 12 hectares of greenhouses with modern protected iron structures. The crops, managed under integrated pest management, are GlobalGAP and GRASP certified. Well, 80% of the extensions are engaged with smooth round tomatoes, while the remaining 20% is dedicated to other segments, such as cherry tomato and midi plum.

"Our choice to continue to focus on the cultivation of large berry tomatoes," said Maurizio Cassibba, the company's administrator, who runs the farm together with his son Salvatore, "might seem far-fetched at times like these. However, over the years, we have built up an extraordinary know-how that allows us to avoid the difficulties caused by plant diseases, even those currently pervasive. At the basis of our management, there is certainly a judicious choice of varieties, to which we must add trade secrets and lots and lots of prophylaxis."


"Speaking of varietal choice, we have been almost totally betting on Axia Maxter since last year, after several trials made over time. This is a variety for bunch harvesting, with berries weighing an average of 130-150 grams. This tomato is suitable for transplanting in September, January, and February, in terms of our area here in Sicily. Our target markets for this ribbed tomato are domestic and foreign due to its long shelf life," added the farmer.


"Ours is a very dynamic company, to the extent that we are constantly looking for new tools to improve ourselves. This does not only mean making the most of our production processes but also continually putting ourselves in the game with new challenges. In fact, it is this year's start of a new commercial adventure with the acquisition of a booth at the fruit and vegetable market in Vittoria. We want to continue to be a reference point for high-quality tomato production, but also a stronghold in agribusiness for Italy and beyond," concluded Cassibba.

For more information:
Az. Agr. Cassibba Maurizio
Maurizio Cassibba
Via Napoli, 98
97019 Scoglitti (RG) - Italy

Publication date:

Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here

Other news in this sector:

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber