Announcements

Job Offers

"Tweeting Growers"

Top 5 -yesterday

Top 5 -last week

Top 5 -last month

Pandemic reveals the importance of growing your own food

Social distancing, reducing visits to the grocery stores and being self-sufficient with fresh healthy greens that strengthens your immune system, is the best way to shield yourself from COVID-19. This is probably the reason why the novel innovation of fully automated kitchen gardens providing you with fresh greens have taken off during this pandemic.

One way or another all our lives have been impacted and changed in a very short period of time due to a global pandemic that none of us were prepared for and that has revealed some of the issues of the global world we live in. We are forced to work and study from home, limit our social interactions, cook more than we were used to and significantly reduce our visits to stores and supermarkets. Reducing the frequency of the visits to the supermarket has made it more difficult to enjoy fresh goods like veggies and fruit.

“There are, however, actions we can take to create more food security for our families, especially in what comes to fresh goods. In the past people were growing their own food at home, but most of us today don’t have the needed experience for this, which is why we have taken help from the latest technology to make this possible. ” said Markus Nilsson, CEO of Tregren.

We need to look back a few generations when food production was much closer to the consumers, and people used to grow much of their food. We have incorporated this knowledge, which has been lost in recent years, in our products allowing anyone, even without any prior gardening experience, to easily and successfully grow their own veggies and herbs. Tregren’s kitchen gardens also allow users to continue to grow the pre-potted herbs and greens, from any store, in their home for many months, facilitating the reduction of supermarket visits.

Old meets new
The kitchen gardens are controlled with an app that will act has the actual gardener. The user simply selects the plants and phase of growth and then the app transmits to the garden the amount of water and light those specific plants need to grow healthy. This is where all the knowledge from our past generations is put to use via the modern technologies.

“I love fresh herbs and in the summer I grow everything myself. But, the summer in Lapland is short and unpredictable, so the harvest varies considerably. The work is hard but, finally, I have a solution to the problem with Tregren Kitchen Garden that allows me to grow my herbs all year round with great yields”, said Sirly Schinmann, Chef and owner of Boutique Hotel Aurora Estate in Ylläs, MasterChef Finland top 3 and TV Chef at C-more sport.

These innovative kitchen gardens do not only provide you with fresh greens, but they are also an important tool for every one of us to reduce food waste and help us save our planet. Markus Nilsson continues: “It’s also very important that we stop wasting so much food. About 40% of all the fruits and vegetables produced for human consumption worldwide are wasted. Bringing the food production the closest possible to the consumer is one of the best ways to reduce food waste, because most is wasted during transportation or at the stores. We can’t continue buying a pot of herbs and use only 20% of it to prepare a meal and, after a couple of days at home when the plants look bad, throw the remaining 80% away. With our kitchen gardens these herbs can continue to grow for many months, even years.”

For more information:
Tregren
Markus Nilsson
Maininkitie 6
02320 Espoo, Finland
+ 358 50 568 9770
info@tregren.com
www.tregren.com 


Publication date:



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber