When you connect with farmers and buy their goods, you help protect those who rely on sales for their livelihoods and who have already invested in supplies, seed and seasonal operating costs. Here's how to safely buy products from your local farmers.
Thanks to social media and other digital methods of communication, it has never been easier for you to reach out directly to your local farmer and offer positive reinforcement along with your business.
- Search social media for farms from whom you’ve purchased before and follow them
- Search online to see if those farms have a website with contact information
- Call, text, email or message farmers
If farmers’ markets are canceled, local producers will do their best to set up alternative marketplaces where they can sell directly to you. When you reach out to local farmers, ask them how they intend to deliver their goods to you if traditional outlets are not an option.
Local farmers take pride in delivering food that is fresh, locally sourced and safe to consume. Nevertheless, please take precautions that assist them and minimize the potential spread of COVID-19.
- If you exhibit any symptoms of illness, do not go to a market or farm.
- Wash your hands according to CDC guidelines before picking up / taking delivery of any order.
- Do not ask local farmers to let you handle products beyond those you are purchasing.
- Wash your hands and any produce you buy once you return home to reduce contamination.