The statistic department of Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock of Afghanistan reported that there is a remarkable increase in vegetable crops in 1398. Vegetables such as potato, onion, carrot, tomato, pepper, okra, cucumber, cauliflower, pumpkin, and eggplant are the top vegetables in Afghanistan.
The most noticeable increase includes 305000 tons of potatoes, 220000 tons of onions and 138000 tons increase of carrots.
This increase was caused by the efforts of the farmers, private sectors and Ministry of Agriculture.
The procedure of Ministry of Agriculture to promote vegetable and support the farmers are as following:
- Constructing 365 little greenhouses for indigent women across the country;
- Constructing 19747 little gardens for female farmers; the little gardens has completely formed in Kabul, Ghazni, Kapisa, Parwan, Logar, Panjshir, Bamiyan, Daikondi, Paktiya, Balkh, Jozjan, Sarpol, Samangan, Baghlan, Badakhshan, Takhar, Faryab, Kondoz, Nangarhar, Konar, Laghman, Herat, Ghor, Qandahar, Farah, and Badghis provinces.
- Constructing 449 little greenhouses for male farmers, each garden surveying one biswa (100m2) area;
- Constructing 630 commercial greenhouses in 26 provinces which each greenhouse surveys 3 to 4 biswas areas; the construction of these greenhouses has been completed about 85%. These greenhouses are in Kabul, Kapisa, Parwan, Logar, Bamiyan, Daikondi, Paktiya, Balkh, Jozjan, Samangan, Baghlan, Badakhshan, Takhar, Faryab, Kondoz, Nangarhar, Konar, Laghman, Herat, Qandahar, Farah, Badghis, Zabul, Nimroz, Panjshir, Noristan, Ghor, and Khost.
Mina is a female vegetable worker in Rodat district in Nangarhar province. He said to Dehqan Weekly, “One year ago, I and my children were working in poppy cultivation. But the ministry of Agriculture constructed us greenhouses. We have obtained the crops twice so far. We make pickles from the products of the greenhouse. My children sell the pickles to markets to provide our consumption.”
“I cultivate pepper, cress, and tomatoes in the greenhouse. I work with my children.” Manan Nayazi, a resident from Nangarhar province said, “I am in charge of providing consumption for a family of 20 members. My children work with me in the garden and greenhouse. One year ago, the Ministry of Agriculture provided us a greenhouse which produces a five hectare crops. I have cultivated cucumber for the first time and I obtained 500 kilos of cucumber. Now, I have cultivated tomatoes and I anticipate we get a better result.”
The Ministry of Agriculture plans the following major resolutions to promote vegetable cultivation for the coming year:
- Construction of 331 commercial greenhouses;
- Construction of 350000 home gardens for indigent women;
- And distribution of 365 little greenhouses for indigent women.
For more information: